Law & Finance (Advanced LL.M.)
How are international financial markets regulated? How do banks structure and document international financial transactions? What does it take to ensure the stability of the financial markets and to protect investors on those markets? How should integrity in the financial sector be maintained?
Due to the current Corona crisis, this programme will be offered online in the academic year 2020-2021. You therefore do not need to come to Leiden to start and end the programme. However, should you decide to travel to Leiden to explore Leiden university, Leiden Law School and Leiden city, we would be delighted to welcome you. We will be happy to organise several social activities and may meet in person. Yet your teaching experience will be identical to the experience you would have had should have stayed in your home country.
“Since the global financial crisis, financial regulation has gained the attention of policy makers and the public. And rightly so, as financial law affects us all. Experts with an understanding of both law and finance are needed to advise and litigate on financial regulation — and that’s exactly what this programme teaches you.”
Students to speak
This video can not be shown because you did not accept cookies.You can leave our website to view this video.
What does this master's programme entail?
Think about the access to finance and opportunities to invest for organisations and individuals. You will then realise how, in today’s interconnected world, national and international financial markets have far-reaching effects on virtually all of us around the globe. That is why trading venues and financial institutions such as banks, asset managers and market intermediaries are increasingly regulated. This leads to a growing need for: legal specialists with knowledge of the economic aspects that drive financial transactions; and financial experts who wish to increase their understanding of financial regulations. In the Law & Finance programme, you will be specially trained to work at the intersection of law and finance in this global world.
Reasons to choose Law and Finance at Leiden University?
As a student of the advanced master’s in Law & Finance, you will benefit from:
- Expert instructors: You will be taught by expert staff and guest lecturers who are internationally renowned in the field of law and finance. Many of our staff are prominent members of or contributors to organisations such as the World Bank, the International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA), P.R.I.M.E. Finance, and various courts and regulatory bodies.
- Professional skills: In addition to the theory you learn in the coursework, you will be trained in professional skills, including writing legal briefs, negotiating a financial transaction and oral presentations.
- Site visits: You will be able to see how financial markets operate and are regulated by participating in site visits to the Amsterdam stock exchange and Dutch financial supervisory authorities.
Find more reasons to study Law & Finance at Leiden University.
Is Law & Finance the right programme for you?
Are you fascinated by the complex, international and multidisciplinary questions facing the financial sector? Would you be interested in learning how to deal with these questions from a legal and economic perspective with special attention to ethics? Then this could be the programme for you.
To be a good fit for the advanced nature of the programme, one of the following should apply:
- you are a legal professional and have a full law degree (offering access to legal practice); or
- you are a financial expert with a degree at an equivalent level in another discipline and sufficient background in or understanding of law.
In addition, you should either have work experience or a strong interest in the financial sector.
You can follow this programme for one year on a full-time basis or two years on a part-time basis. Please note that the part-time schedule consists of the regular courses (daytime courses) spread out over two years.
Read more about the entry requirements for Law & Finance.
Chat with a student
Do you have a question about studying at Leiden University or student life in Leiden? Do you want more information about the Law and Finance programme? Chat with a current student for answers to your questions!