Global Conflict in the Modern Era (MA)
Create a world of opportunities with a master's degree from Leiden University.
The International Relations programme offers outstanding preparation for students seeking a profession that requires comprehensive knowledge of world affairs and strong analytical and critical-thinking skills.
Examples of the diverse roles of our graduates include
- Policy advisor, at a ministry of foreign affairs
- Communications manager and project assistant at an NGO promoting reconciliation and peace
- Consular spokesperson at a ministry of foreign affairs
- Consultant at an NGO
- Project manager at a company specialising in geo-services, international development and project management
- PhD candidate and research assistant
- Communications officer at an international student federation
- Research analyst at a consultancy firm
- Product manager at a multinational company
- University relations manager at an education intermediary
- Senior immigration expert at a multinational accountancy and consultancy firm
Your master will qualify you for a wide-range of roles in almost every sector of the employment market. Many of our graduates work for public services, research institutes, international organisations, government bodies, NGOs, education, communications, policy development, political institutes and academia, amongst others.
Graduated in International Relations
"Being from my own cultural background, from the U.S., I came to Leiden with a certain view on the world. Through studying International Relations I acquired much more cultural sensitivity about certain issues. I learned about the impression the U.S. leaves on the world, which opened up my world to different viewpoints.”
Recruiting students for our study abroad programmes
"I currently work at CISabroad, a studying abroad organization that has affiliations with over 200 U.S. universities. For the most part I recruit students for our study abroad programmes, but I also arrange the logistics of some of the student trips abroad."
" As a lecturer I found Lindsay Black very inspirational. He is a very smart man and I owe him a drink or two for being so helpful during the process of writing my thesis."
A Leiden University degree
Leiden University Master's graduates are sought-after employees at (inter)national organisations. Our graduates are known for their combination of robust academic training, in-depth and relevant knowledge, and critical, multidisciplinary approach to problem-solving.
In which sector do students find jobs?
- 29.0 % Government and semi-government organisations
- 24.0 % Non-profit (e.g. at an idealistic organisation)
- 10.0 % Business services
- 10.0 % Education
- 10.0 % Consulting
- 10.0 % Media and journalism
- 5.0 % Research
- 5.0 % IT
How successful are they in finding a job?
- 81.0 % found a job within two months
- 90.0 % found their first job at academic level