International Civil and Commercial Law (Advanced LL.M.)
Why Leiden University
Its comparative and multi-tiered approach to both local and global law make this programme unique.
Studying at Leiden Law School
Leiden Law School offers challenging, top quality education with many opportunities for talent to flourish. The law school is internationally orientated and has many contacts with universities, political bodies and the professional field. Our teaching staff combine a solid academic basis with current knowledge in the professional field. As a result the study programmes offered are versatile, topical and socially relevant. With our additional location in The Hague we are in close proximity to the political and international organisations that operate in the areas of law, justice and policy-making.
Study at a world-class university
Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands and enjoys an excellent worldwide reputation built up over more than four centuries. Since 1575 we’ve provided sound personal education for hundreds of thousands of students. We’ll do our utmost to give you the best possible support. And if you can and want to do more, we’ll challenge you every step of the way. For many years, we’ve been among the leaders in Dutch university rankings and we are currently to be found in a variety of top international rankings too.
More reasons to choose Leiden University
10 reasons why you should study International Civil and Commercial Law in Leiden
As a student of the International Civil and commercial Law Advanced Studies programme, you will benefit from:
- Comprehensive approach: This programme is truly all-inclusive in its quest to shed light on transnational, international and comparative aspects of law.
- Unique case studies: Many lecturers in the ICCL programme work in civil and commercial law practice and use their real-life cases to enhance your learning experience.
- Excellent reputation: Leiden Law School has developed its reputation for excellence by combining a high level of academic teaching with acclaimed and innovative research. Its tradition of quality attracts prestigious professors and professionals from around the world who teach you in a challenging and supportive atmosphere.
- Study trip opportunities: You will have the opportunity to participate in several European-based study trips that are related to your courses.
- Moot court experience: You will have the opportunity to participate in the Willem C. Vis Moot Court Competition on international arbitration.
- Seminar-style learning: Classes are taught in small, highly-interactive groups.
- Varied instructional methods: A unique balance is struck between advanced theory and practical application.
- Professional skills: The programme provides you with the skills to operate successfully within today’s rapid commercial globalisation.
- Prime networking: The extensive network of our staff and alumni can help to facilitate internships outside of the programme.
- Scholastic resources: You will have access to the Institute of Private Law’s excellent library, as well as the library of the nearby Peace Palace (The Hague), which houses one of the world’s largest legal collections.
Professor Willem van Boom
Due to the selected cookie settings, we cannot show this video here.Watch the video on the original website or