European and International Business Law (Advanced LL.M.)
Why Leiden University
Leiden University’s European and International Business Law programme has a successful history spanning more than 20 years.
Valérie Bayard (Switzerland)
"Completing the advanced EIBL Programme was challenging and inspiring at the same time."
"The Programme is based on a very interactive teaching method, which boosted my motivation and interest for the subjects studied, and definitely helped me to define my career path. At Leiden University I found a kind, highly qualified staff and amazing fellow students. I consider this experience as one of the best years of my life."
Deying Wang (China)
"Leiden university not only has a long history and good reputation, but also has a group of lovely and dedicated professors who really care about students."
"In terms of European and International Business Law programme, the project manager's carefulness and thoughtfulness for students' future study can be seen from the reading list prior to commencing the programme. If you have some difficulties in the course, you can not only ask friends from different cultural backgrounds for help, but also your professor is always willing to give you a hand. With that being said, it is not surprising that Leiden law school moved further up the world rankings of university by subject. One year being as a Leiden student, you will benefit a lot throughout your life."
Ashwarya Ekka (India)
"The European and International Business Law course provided by Leiden University is enlightening in the truest form. The name and reputation of Leiden University speak for itself and the faculty of the EIBL programme is beyond outstanding."
"The method and technique employed by the professors are extremely helpful to grasp the concepts which are new if you do not possess prior knowledge of European and International laws.
The Teaching Assistants and the Programme Coordinator are readily available for your concerns, at all times and they thoroughly make sure that your experience at Leiden University exceeds your expectations.
This programme attracts various legal professionals and students who are driven to achieve great success in the legal profession and my experience with the batch of 2017 holds true to this statement. I was surrounded by an intelligent and supportive group of people and made memories as well as friends for a lifetime.
Hence, I am immensely proud to call myself, a Leiden University Alumnus."
Professor Jorrit Rijpmna
Due to the selected cookie settings, we cannot show this video here.Watch the video on the original website or
10 reasons why you should study European and International Business Law in Leiden
As a student of the European and International Business Law Advanced Studies programme, you will benefit from:
- Excellent reputation: This programme has more than two decades of history and is offered through Leiden Law School’s Europa Institute. The teaching is grounded in the Law School’s distinguished research programme ‘The progression of EU law: accommodating change and upholding values’.
- Expert instructors: Courses are taught by expert staff with an international reputation as well as by guest lecturers who hold senior positions with legal firms, international courts or business organisations.
- Moot court skills: You will have the possibility of participating in the European Law Moot Court (ELMC), the most renowned competition in the field of EU law. If you advance to the oral round of the ELMC competition, you will receive training in research, analysis, legal writing and pleading in a simulation of an EU law case. If interested, you may have the opportunity to present at the ELSA Moot Court, which relates to the field of WTO law.
- Study trip: You will take a study trip to Luxembourg and Brussels to visit the European Commission and the European Court of Justice.
- Summer and winter school opportunities: You have the option to participate in the winter school in Mergers & Acquisitions and/or the summer school in International Capital Markets, Banking and Finance Products.
- Flexible study options: You can either complete this programme in one year as a full-time student or in two years as a part-time student. You can also choose to follow an elective course that is part of another Leiden law programme.
- Abundant extracurriculars: You will be provided with many opportunities to enhance your studies through extracurriculars, such as the opportunity to become a research fellow with the Leiden Centre for Legal and Comparative Studies of the East African Community.
- Student counseling: You will receive study/career counseling as an important part of your study programme.
- Beautiful, convenient location: The Law School is housed in two beautifully restored historic buildings located in the old centre of Leiden. We also have teaching and research facilities close to international legal institutions in The Hague.
- Superior research resources: As a student, you will have access to the extensive library of the Leiden Law School. Leiden is also in close proximity to the Peace Palace in The Hague, which houses one of the world’s largest legal collections.
Studying at Leiden Law School
Leiden Law School offers challenging, top quality education with many opportunities for talent to flourish. The law school is internationally orientated and has many contacts with universities, political bodies and the professional field. Our teaching staff combine a solid academic basis with current knowledge in the professional field. As a result the study programmes offered are versatile, topical and socially relevant. With our additional location in The Hague we are in close proximity to the political and international organisations that operate in the areas of law, justice and policy-making.
Study at a world-class university
Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands and enjoys an excellent worldwide reputation built up over more than four centuries. Since 1575 we’ve provided sound personal education for hundreds of thousands of students. We’ll do our utmost to give you the best possible support. And if you can and want to do more, we’ll challenge you every step of the way. For many years, we’ve been among the leaders in Dutch university rankings and we are currently to be found in a variety of top international rankings too.
More reasons to choose Leiden University