Computer Science (MSc)
About the programme
The MSc programme Computer Science offers three specialisations corresponding to the research focus areas within LIACS. If you would like to combine Computer Science with education, management or science communication, you can choose one of the more practical-oriented specialisations.
Programme overview Computer Science
The Master of Science in Computer Science programme offers six specialisations:
- Computer Science and Advanced Data Analytics: this programme includes research tracks in algorithms and Software Technology, Computer systems, Imagery and Media and Data Science
- Bioinformatics: this programme has a specific focus on applying and designing new computer science methods and techniques to handle the complex data analysis problems from molecular biology and life sciences
- Computer Science –Data Science: this programme has a specific focus on the statistical and computational aspects of Data Science as well as on its application.
- Computer Science and Education (taught partly in Dutch): prepare yourself for a career in teaching Computer Science.
- Computer Science and Science Communication and Society: combine research with programmes in different aspects of science communication, such as journalism.
- Computer Science and Business Studies: combine a training in Computer Science with education in business and entrepreneurship.
The research-oriented master’s specialisations consist of two components: courses and research project(s). Depending on your specialisation, the programme consists of:
- Compulsory courses
- Research projects
Find out more about the research-oriented specialisation:
If you choose one of the specialisations where you combine Computer Science with Education, Business Studies or Science Communication and Society, you need to follow specific modules (30-60 EC) in the second year and therefore have a reduced research programme. The research programme in Computer Science consists of a research project in Computer Science (42 EC) and coursework (at least 30 EC).
Find out more about the specialisations:
- Individual paper
- Lab work
- Literature study
- Working groups
- Research Project