Biomedical Sciences (MSc)
In this master programme you learn interdisciplinary approaches to address scientific and societal challenges in the field of (bio)medical sciences. The research in our programme Biomedical Sciences relates to the maintenance of health and prevention of disease. You will acquire a skill set suitable for a wide range of career opportunities not only in (biomedical) research, but also in industry, policy making, communication or education.
What does this master’s programme entail?
The first, common, master year provides you with a solid background in Biomedical Sciences via compulsory and elective courses, and a research internship. The interdisciplinary character of the first year offers you great opportunities to address health and disease-related issues from various directions. The second master year is dedicated to one of the specialisations.
Interested? Read more about our programme and specialisations.
Biomedical Sciences at Leiden University Medical Center
Due to the selected cookie settings, we cannot show this video here.Watch the video on the original website or
Five reasons to choose the Master Biomedical Sciences at Leiden University
- The flexibility of our programme allows you to follow your individual interests in the order that suits you best;
- You will have the opportunity to specialise in different areas of research or to zero in on management, communication or education;
- You will enjoy small-group teaching, traineeships, an international classroom and high-quality courses on subjects at the frontiers of science;
- Biomedical Sciences is taught at the Leiden University Medical Center, which is a modern institution where research, education and patient care with a high-quality profile and a strong scientific orientation are combined;
- Our alumni have very good job opportunities and our course Career orientation will help you explore the job market!
Learn more about career prospects in the field of Biomedical Sciences.
Is the master Biomedical Sciences the right program for you?
The master Biomedical Sciences is the right programme for you, if you would like to:
- Study at the intersection of medicine and the natural sciences;
- Learn about causes of specific illnesses and the molecular, genetic and/or physiological mechanisms of disease;
- Be actively involved in the translation of knowledge to actual treatment (from bench to bedside);
- Gain knowledge, insight and hands-on experience;
- Combine research/science with management, communication or education;
- Be able to work independently as an academic professional, not only in research, but also in industry, policy making, communication or education.
Interested? Read more about the entry requirements for the master Biomedical Sciences.