Global Archaeology (MA)
Why Leiden University?
The Faculty of Archaeology ranks as the best on continental Europe and is in the top ten of the world. Our master’s degree in archaeology offers the most diverse programme of its type in the Netherlands.
7 reasons to study Archaeology in Leiden:
- Benefit from the most versatile master's in Archaeology in the Netherlands.
- Embrace inderdisciplinarity: combine ecology and geology with iconology and historical studies, as well as ethno-archaeological, anthropological and experimental approaches; broaden your scope further by exploring modern museum practices and developments in archaeological heritage management.
- Gain a solid basis for a national or international career in archaeology, heritage management, heritage policy or the museum world.
- Study together with enthusiastic students and staff who form a dynamic international research community, active all around the world.
- Enjoy teaching that is strongly linked to our research, so you do not only hear about our research in the classroom, but you actually participate in it.
- Join an exceptional international community. About half of our graduate students come from abroad, as do more than half of our staff members.
- Discover the world! We encourage you to follow your archaeological interests and build on your expertise, whether this happens through taking specialist courses, or traveling the world for fieldwork and research.
Study at the Faculty of Archaeology
- Study at a Faculty that has quite rightly earned a place in the top ten of archaeology research and teaching institutes in the world.
- Benefit from our large network in international research.
- Join high-quality practicals in our ultramodern laboratories.
- Use our modern facilities and consult the world-renowned collections of the University Library.
Study at a world-class university
Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands and enjoys an excellent worldwide reputation built up over more than four centuries. Since 1575 we’ve provided sound personal education for hundreds of thousands of students from all over the world. We’ll do our utmost to give you the best possible support. And if you can and want to do more, we’ll challenge you every step of the way. For many years, we’ve been among the leaders in Dutch university rankings and we are currently to be found in a variety of top international rankings too.
More reasons to choose Leiden University
A student’s view on Leiden
Due to the selected cookie settings, we cannot show this video here.Watch the video on the original website or