Global Archaeology (MA)
If you would like to apply for this programme, you should first check the admission requirements.
The entry requirements below count for applications for September 2023 and February 2024. For the entry requirements of February 2023, please see the Course and Examination Regulations for 2021-2022.
Holders of one of the following degrees may be admitted to the programme:
- An academic bachelor’s degree in Archaeology, obtained at a university in the Netherlands.
- An academic bachelor’s degree in Archaeology, obtained at a university abroad, with comparable level as the bachelor’s programme of the Faculty of Archaeology of Leiden University.
- Bachelor’s degree obtained at a university in a related field: Anthropology Geography; Biology; Heritage/Museum Studies; History; Landscape/Ecology; Art History; Architecture, provided the student has at least 60 credits belonging to the discipline of archaeology.
- Bachelor's degree in Archaeology of a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO), or equivalent, with:
- The academic minor obtained or:
- An average of 7.0 in the BA2 and 3 ánd passed the course Archaeological Research Design, ór
- Graduation project graded with at least an 8.0 ánd passed the course Archaeological Research Design.
- A prescribed pre-master's programme
Please note: you can apply for one specialisation only. If you are interested in another specialisation as your second choice in case you are not admitted to the specialisation of your first choice, you can indicate this in the programme application form and/or your motivation letter. If you have already submitted your application, please contact the secretary of the Board of Admissions.
See the Course and Examination Regulations for more information.
Please note that
Applicants who have a bachelor’s degree from a university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic bachelor’s degree in Archaeology, but with a lack of specific archaeological knowledge or skills which can be obtained within max 1 year, will be admitted to the master after completing a pre-master's programme of max. 60 credits in the time set for the programme.
You will be asked to hand in the following:
- Curriculum vitae
- Movitation letter
Register via Studielink, then opt for the Bachelor higher year. In the uSis online portal to which you are redirected, you will be able to choose the pre-master option.
For more information about the pre-master's programme see the Prospectus or contact the pre-master coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sufficient command of English
- IELTS: Academic modules only. Minimum overall score of 6.5.
- TOEFL: Minimum overall score of 90. Original test results should be sent directly by the Educational Testing Service. The TOEFL institution code for Leiden University is 0504.
We are able to accept the TOEFL Special Home Edition™ for admission due to the coronavirus situation. Institutional TOEFL tests are not accepted;
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English/ Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English. Minimum overall score of 176.
Please note: Exam results may not be more than two years old. See also the general language requirements.
For detailed information, including exemption criteria and methods of submission, refer to English language proficiency.
English tests accepted
Note that English test results may not be more than two years old. The following types of English test are accepted:
- IELTS: Academic
- We do not accept IELTS General Training or IELTS Indicator
- We are not yet able to accept the new IELTS online.
- TOEFL: internet based
- We do not accept the following types of test: TOEFL My Best ™ scores (multiple test scores combined), TOEFL Essentials™ or institutional tests such as ITP.
- We can accept TOEFL IBT Special Home Edition™ or TOEFL IBT Paper Edition™ in the following situations only:
- You are applying for a programme starting in Feb 2023, or
- You took the test before 1 Sept 2022 (& it is not more than 2 years old), or
- You are unable to take an in-person test on location because test centres in your region are closed due to COVID or inaccessible due to unsafe conditions.
- Cambridge English Exam C2 Proficiency or C1 Advanced, depending on admission criteria
Please note: You do not have to submit proof of proficiency if you have completed your education in the USA, the UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, Canada (except French-taught programmes in Canada) Singapore, South-Africa or Malta, or when you hold an International Baccalaureate, or for Dutch students, if you have completed VWO level English or an English taught bachelor at a Dutch Research University.