Applied Archaeology (MA)
Open up a world of opportunities with your master's degree in Archaeology from Leiden University!
Broad array of skills
The broad array of skills that you will acquire as an archaeologist will make you an attractive target for a wide range of employers. These skills will equip you for a variety of positions in the Netherlands or abroad, in government or in business. They will also make you an objective, critical and, above all, articulate and creative thinker.
Creative thinkers have the ability to draw logical and accurate conclusions from incomplete information, and to come up with practical and original solutions. This ability will make you a great fit with many different professions.
Stepping-stone to the job market
Your archaeology master’s can be a stepping-stone up to a career in almost every sector of the job market. It is the winning combination of practical knowledge and academic skills that fuels employers’ demand for Leiden University’s archaeology graduates.
Sectors in which graduates of Archaeology are employed
- 37 % Consultancy Archaeology/public space-environment-soil
- 29 % Government/heritage land-management, environment
- 22 % Research
- 4 % Public-interest group
- 2 % Education
- 2 % Art and culture
- 2 % NGO (Non-Governmental Organisation)
- 2 % Others, like industry/communications
Our graduates find employment as:
- field archaeologists
- PhD candidates at Leiden University or other universities
- policy advisors at governmental institutes or NGOs
- consultants with independent or commercial companies
- museum curators
- cultural resource managers (Heritage)
- university or secondary school teachers
- public relations officers
- project managers
- digital education officers at museums
- digital specialists