Urban Studies (BA)
Job market surveys show an increasing demand for students in the field of Urban Studies, particularly those who have been trained in an interdisciplinary programme that includes a social and cultural perspective on cities and urbanisation processes.
The Urban Studies programme will make you a specialist with a broad perspective of what cities need and an understanding of the complex problems they face.
After graduating from the Urban Studies programme you will have acquired invaluable skills that can be applied in private, public and non-profit sectors. These skills include:
- Critical thinking
- Data collection and analysis
- Designing research programmes that relate to urban problems and their solutions.
You can continue your academic education with a master’s programme. Graduates from the Urban Studies bachelor’s are generally admissible to many master’s programmes in the field of humanities, law or social sciences.
- Our Urban Studies bachelor’s will qualify you for several international master’s programmes such as Urban Studies at University College London.
- In the Netherlands the Urban Studies programme will qualify you for a wide range of master’s programmes at Leiden University, in areas that include history, public administration, industrial ecology, linguistics and language and communication.
- After doing a pre-master, you could follow a master’s in criminology, psychology or pedagogy.
- If you want to continue your studies at another Dutch university, there are options as well, for example the Urban Studies master’s at the University of Amsterdam or Urban Management and Development at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
The Career Service of Leiden University’s Faculty of Humanities will be pleased to give you personal advice and guidance about internships and jobs, as well as courses and workshops in career-planning, job-applications and interviews. We can also provide contact details for potential employers. Furthermore, an internship coordinator and career advisor will help you match your interests and abilities with suitable internships and career options. You can contact the Student Career Service up to six months after you graduate.
Campus The Hague Career Event
What do you want to do after you graduate? The Campus The Hague Career Event is your chance to learn everything you can about how to find the job you want and successfully attain it. The event includes workshops on a wide range of topics as well as opportunities to network with alumni and potential employers and attain tips, information and potential job leads.
Check out the aftermovie of the Campus The Hague Career Event 2018!