Science Communication & Society
Summer School Science Communication
From 5-9 July 2021, we will organize a summer school for researchers who want to learn about communicating science to diverse audiences. The summer school is aimed at PhD students, postdoc and other early career researchers in the natural sciences and related fields. Registration is open until April 16 2021 through a registration form on this web page.
Because of the measures around COVID-19, the summer school 2021 will take place completely online.
Are you interested in learning more about how to communicate about your research with other audiences than the scientific community? Are you available for 1 week from 5-9 July, 2021? Then this online summer school is a great opportunity for you.
Over the span of one week, you will get theoretical perspectives about science communication, practice skills and apply all of that in the development of a product to share your own research field. Science Communication scientists from Leiden University will guide you through the process, providing you insights and inspiration.
We are inviting young researchers (PhD, postdoc, or early career) to join our summer school. The registration fee is €300,- and we do ask you to provide a motivation letter and short CV. We have space for 20-25 participants and will make a selection based on those documents.
The program will include:
- Introduction to science communication, inspiration on SC products.
- Lectures on communication theory, target audiences, how to include outreach in funding proposals, literature and best practices.
- Presentations by guest speakers about their experiences with different types of science communication.
- Workshops on writing and presenting.
- Throughout the week, participants will develop their own group product which will be presented at the end of the week.
The summer school will take place online. The program will last from 9-17h each day.
Registration has closed!
We ask you to include a short CV (max 1 page) and a motivation letter (max 1 page) in which you cover the following:
- Why you want to participate
- What you hope to learn
- Your experience in science communication (no previous experience is required, we just want to know the level of experience of participants).
Please register here
Deadline for registration: April 16, 2021