Sander van Kasteren
Sander van Kasteren works on the interface between chemistry and immunology. He uses his background in organic synthesis and dendritic cell biology to study and manipulate the uptake and routing of antigen in dendritic cells.
Date of birth: 18 June 1978
2007 PhD, Faculty of Chemistry, University of Oxford, United Kingdom
Thesis title: ‘Probes for the in Vivo visualisation of cerebral inflammation’
Advisor: Prof. B.G. Davis
2001 MSc Chemistry & Medicinal Chemistry, Faculty of Chemistry, University of Edinburgh, Scotland
Current and previous research positions
2012 – now Tenure Track Assistant Professor, Leiden Institute of Chemistry, Leiden University, The Netherlands
2010 – 2012 Post-doctoral researcher (Veni), Netherlands Cancer Institute, The Netherlands
2007 – 2010 Sir Henry Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Dundee, Scotland
Grants, awards, recognitions since 2010
2015 Reumafonds Fundamental Research Grant (k€ 157)
2015 NWO-CW ECHO Grant (k€ 260)
2014 EU ERC Starting Grant (k€ 1,500)
2014 Gravitation ICI (k€ 153)
2012 Early Career Research Award – British Biochemical Society
2010 NWO-CW Veni (k€ 250)
Contribution to teaching and supervision
- One undergraduate course for BSc Life Science and Technology (Leiden/Delft): Immunology
- One course for MSc Chemistry and MSc Life Science and Technology at Leiden University: Chemical Immunology
- Set up the Leiden Chemical Biology Summer School (2014)
- Short courses on chemical biology for the Department of Biology, the Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Science-wide Kaleidoscope-course
Supervision of 10 PhD students and 3 postdoctoral fellows (one Veni fellow) since 2012. No one has left the group yet; the first two PhD-students are finishing and will move to the groups of Peter Cresswell (Yale) and Jacques Neefjes (LUMC), respectively.
Other responsibilities since 2010
- Member of review panel for the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO)
- External member to PhD committees in the United Kingdom
- Member and incoming chairman of the Backer Prize Committee for selecting the best organic chemistry thesis in The Netherlands annually
- Reviewer for Nature Communications, Scientific Reports, ACS-family journals, RSC-family journals, PLoS-family journals
Publication record including five recent representative publications
33 papers and patents with >1030 citations, H-index 15 (Google Scholar)
Full publication record: Google Scholar
- Pawlak J.B., Hos B.J., Graaff M.J. van de, Megantari O.A., Meeuwenoord N., Overkleeft H.S., Filippov D.V., Ossendorp F.A., Kasteren S.I. van: “The Optimization Of Bioorthogonal Epitope Ligation Within MHC-I Complexes”. ACS Chemical Biology. 2016, 11, 3172-3178.
- Elsland D.M. van, Bos E., Boer W. de, Overkleeft H.S., Koster A.J., Kasteren S.I. van, Detection of bioorthogonal groups by correlative light and electron microscopy allows imaging of degraded bacteria in phagocytes. Chemical Science. 2016, 7, 752-758.
- Pawlak J.B., Gential G.P.P., Ruckwardt T.J., Bremmers J.S., Meeuwenoord N.J., Ossendorp F.A., Overkleeft H.S., Filippov D.V., Kasteren S.I. van, Bioorthogonal deprotection on the dendritic cell surface for chemical control of antigen cross‐presentation. Angewandte Chemie International Edition. 2015, 54, 5628-5631.
- Willems L.I., Overkleeft H.S., Kasteren S.I. van, Current developments in activity-based protein profiling. Bioconjugate chemistry. 2014, 25, 1181-1191.
- Ekkebus R., Kasteren S.I. van, Kulathu Y., Scholten A., Berlin I., Geurink P.P., Jong A. de, Goerdayal S., Neefjes J., Heck A.J.R., Komander D., Ovaa H., On terminal alkynes that can react with active-site cysteine nucleophiles in proteases. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 2013, 135, 2867-2870.
Presentations including five presentations at international conferences since 2010
Invited speaker at, amongst others, Heidelberg Max Planck Institute, University of Saarbrucken, UC Irvine, San Sebastian, NIH, Louisiana State University, University of Leeds, University of Oxford, University of Dundee.
Since starting my Tenure Track, I have presented at the following international conferences
- RSC Chemical Biology Meeting Zurich 2014
- Inaugural ICI-meeting, Amsterdam 2015
- KNCV Annual Organic Chemistry Meeting 2015
- Oxford Chemical Immunology Meeting, 2016
No relevant ancillary activities