Professor of Financial Law
Studies and career
Pim Rank is a professor of financial law at Leiden University and a partner at NautaDutilh in Amsterdam. From 1997 until 2012, prior to his joining Leiden University, Prof. Rank combined his working as a practitioner at NautaDutilh with being a professor of banking and securities law at the Radboud University in Nijmegen.
Both his academic work and his legal practice at NautaDutilh focus on financial products, derivatives, collateral, repos, securities lending, custody of securities, clearing & settlement, payments and payment services, cash management and regulatory supervision.
Prof. Rank is the author of various books and articles on money, monetary obligations and payment, netting and set-off, and the custody of securities and asset segregation. He is a frequent speaker at seminars on banking and securities law. He is the author of the ISDA Collateral Opinion for the Netherlands, the ISDA Cleared Opinion for the Netherlands and the ICMA/ISLA Opinions for the Netherlands and for Curacao and Sint-Maarten.
Furthermore, Prof. Rank represented the Netherlands at the negotiations on the Hague Convention on the Law applicable to Securities held with an Intermediary. He is a member of the EU Clearing & Settlement Legal Certainty Group and a P.R.I.M.E. Finance Expert.
In 1996 Prof. Rank obtained a Doctorate in Law from Leiden University, the thesis for which was on money, monetary obligations and payment. He graduated from Leiden University in 1981. He joined NautaDutilh in 1991 and became a partner in 1997.
- Geld, geldschuld en betaling, diss. Universiteit Leiden, Kluwer 1996 (Money, Monetary obligations and Payment, PhD thesis 1996)
- Bewaring en eigendom van effecten, pre-advies Vereniging voor Effectenrecht 1996, Kluwer 1997 (Custody and Ownership of Securities, pre-advice Securities Law Association 1996)
- De (on)hanteerbaarheid van het Nederlandse recht voor de moderne financiele praktijk, oratie Nijmegen 1998, Kluwer 1998 (The (Un)Suitability of Netherlands Law for Modern Financial Practice, Inaugural Lecture Nijmegen 1998)
- Interventie bij banken en verzekeraars; rechten van crediteuren en wederpartijen, oratie Leiden 2013, Boom Juridische uitgevers 2014 (Intervention at Banks and Insurance Companies; Rights of Creditors and Counterparties, Inaugural Lecture Leiden 2013)
- Custody of Securities in the Netherlands, in: Vertrouwd met de Trust, Kluwer 1996, p. 319-338
- Cross Border Collateralisation in the Netherlands, in: Cross Border Collateralisation: Legal Risk and the Conflict of Laws, Butterworths 2002, p. 397-416 (with A.J. van der Lely)
- Banking Regulation in the Netherlands, in: Regulation of Foreign Banks, Lexis Nexis 2005, p. 685-744 (with M.G.C.M. Peeters)
- Harmonisation of National Security Rights, in: Divergences of Property Law, an Obstacle to the Internal Market?, Munchen 2006, p. 201-215
- Security over Receivables; the Netherlands, in: Security over Receivables; an International Handbook, Oxford University Press 2008, p.351-366
- Giral Payment, Set-off and Bankruptcy, in: The Past and Future of Money, Boom Juridische Uitgevers 2008, p. 121-131
- The Netherlands: The Financial Crisis and The Government’s Response, in Global Financial Crisis; Navigating and Understanding the Legal and Regulatory Aspects, London, 2009, p.131-143
- Repos and Securities Lending, in: Financial Law in the Netherlands, Kluwer Law International 2010, p. 303-334
- Set-off in the Netherlands, in: Set-off Law and Practice; an International Handbook, Oxford University Press 2010, p. 315-329
- member Geographical Advisory Board
- Of Counsel
- lid redactie
- Lid Adviesraad
- Legal expert
- Voorzitter Redactieraad