Gijs van der Marel
Professor of Synthetic organic chemistry
Gijs van der Marel: "Biopolymers, analogues and conjugates thereof are beautiful molecules, challenging synthetic targets and valuable for the elucidation and modulation of biological processes."
Date of birth: 3 April 1952
1982 PhD, Leiden Institute of Chemistry, Leiden University, The Netherlands
Thesis title: ‘DNA, synthesis and application’
Advisor: Prof.Dr. J.H. van Boom
1977 MSc in Chemistry, Leiden Institute of Chemistry, Leiden University, The Netherlands
Current and previous research positions
2005 – now Full Professor in Organic Chemistry, Leiden Institute of Chemistry, Leiden University, The Netherlands
1992 – 2005 Associate Professor, Leiden Institute of Chemistry, Leiden University, The Netherlands
1987 – 1992 Assistant Professor, Leiden Institute of Chemistry, Leiden University, The Netherlands
1982 – 1987 Scientific Staff, Leiden Institute of Chemistry, Leiden University, The Netherlands
Grants, awards, recognitions since 2010
2016 NWO-CW TOP-PUNT Grant with A.J. Minnaard (RUG) (k€ 1,750)
2015 TDDD program ‘from molecule to patient’ with Ossendorp (LUMC) and Jiskoot (LACDR)(k€ 650)
2013 NWO-CW ECHO Grant (k€ 260)
2013 Associate member, Institute of Chemical Immunology (Gravitation programme)
2013 Gravitation ICI (k€ 305)
2012 NWO-CW Middelgroot Grant with J.D.C. Codée (k€ 129)
2011 NWO-CW ECHO Grant with J.D.C. Codée (k€ 260)
Contribution to teaching and supervision
- Two courses for BSc Molecular Science and Technology (Leiden/Delft): Synthetic Organic Chemistry and Introduction to Organic Chemistry
- One course for MSc Life Science and Technology (Leiden/Delft): Molecular Chemistry
- Two courses for MSc Chemistry at Leiden University: Modern Organic Chemistry and Molecules of Life
Supervision of over 80 PhD students and 10 postdoctoral fellows since 1982. Current employment of recent PhD students: G. de Bruin, Ascerta Pharma Oss; B. Hagen, postdoctoral research at Groningen University; L.J. van den Bos, senior scientist at Aspen Pharmaceuticals, Oss; S. Hoogendoorn, postdoctoral researcher at Stanford University, L.I. Willems, postdoctoral researcher at Simon Fraser University; M.T.C. Walvoort, postdoctoral researcher at MIT, now tenure track at Groningen University; P.P. Geurink, staff researcher at LUMC; M.D.P. Risseeuw, staff researcher at Ghent University; M.D. Witte, postdoctoral researcher at MIT, now tenure track at Groningen University; K.M. Bonger, postdoctoral researcher at Stanford University, now tenure track at Radboud University; M. Verdoes, postdoctoral researcher at Stanford University, now tenure track at Radboud University Medical Centre, V.V. Kapoerchan, Program manager, Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research, A. Knijnenburg, research staff, DSM, Sittard, B. Duivenvoorden, process engineer, Shell, D. van der Es, lecturer, Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research; M. Willems, drug registration officer, Synthon, Nijmegen; A. Christina, research scientist with Syncom, now lecturer, University of Applied Sciences Leiden; C.-S. Wong, lecturer, technical school Leiden; J. Dinkelaar, clinical chemist, Onze Lieve Vrouwe Gasthuis, Amsterdam; G. van den Heden van Noort, research staff, LUMC; W. Hogendorf, research staff, NovoNordisk; P. van Delft, postdoctoral researcher, University of Cambridge; N. de Jong, recruiter, Bird recruitment.
Other responsibilities since 2010
- Member of review panels for the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO).
- Member of international thesis committee in Scotland
- Reviewer for Nature Chemical Biology, Nature Communications, Angewandte Chemie, Journal of the American Chemical Society, Cell Chemical Biology, Chemical Science and various organic chemistry, bioorganic chemistry and medicinal chemistry
- Associate editor of the ‘Carbohydrate Chemistry: Proven Synthetic Methods’ book series (2009 – 2011)
- Director of the MSc Chemistry educational program of the Leiden Institute of Chemistry (2005 – 2013)
Publication record including five recent representative publications
Around 800 papers and book chapters with >27,000 citations, H-index 75 (Web of Science)
Full publication record: Universiteit Leiden profile
- Kistemaker H.A.V., Overkleeft H.S., Marel G.A. van der, Filippov D.V., Branching of poly(ADP-ribose): Synthesis of the Core Motif. Organic Letters. 2015, 17, 4328-4331.
- Kistemaker H.A.V., Lameijer L.N., Meeuwenoord N.J., Overkleeft H.S., Marel G.A. van der, Filippov D.V., Synthesis of well-defined adenosine diphosphate ribose oligomers. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2015 54, 7670-7673.
- Rijssel E.R. van, Goumans T.P.M., Lodder G., Overkleeft H.S., Marel G.A. van der, Codée J.D.C., Chiral pyrroline-based Ugi-three-component reactions are under kinetic control. Organic Letters. 2013, 15, 3026-3029.
- Hogendorf W.F.J., Lameijer L.N., Beenakker T.J.M., Overkleeft H.S., Filippov D.V., Codée J.D.C., Marel G.A. van der, Fluorous linker facilitated synthesis of teichoic acid fragments. Organic Letters. 2012, 14, 848-851.
- Christina A.E., Es D. van der, Dinkelaar J., Overkleeft H.S., Marel G.A. van der, Codée J.D.C., Beta-rhamnosides from 6-thio mannosides, Chemical Communications. 2012, 48, 2686-2688.
Presentations including five presentations at international conferences since 2010
- Fundamental and applied studies on glycosylation methodology, 17th European Carbohydrate Symposium, 7-11 July 2013, Tel Aviv (Israel), invited lecture
- Synthesis and evaluation of immune-modulating agents, European Young Investigator Workshop, 17 – 20 March 2013, Berlin, Germany
- Immune-modulating agents, Hungarian Carbohydrate Meeting, 22-24 May 2013, Mátrafüred, Hungary, invited lecture.
- Synthetic methods to teichoic acids, 26th International Carbohydrate Symposium, Madrid, Spain, 22-27 July 2012, invited lecture.
- Synthesis of teichoic and uronic acids, University of St Andrews, Scotland, seminar.