Eric van Dijk
Professor of Psychology and Social Decision Making
Eric van Dijk is the chair of the Social, Economic and Organisational Psychology unit. His research concentrates on the understanding of economic and social decision making. He graduated in economics and in psychology at Groningen University, and then moved to Leiden to work on his dissertation on social dilemmas. In 1993 he completed his dissertation (cum laude). In 2002 he became professor, in 2010 he introduced the Master specialisation Economic and Consumer Psychology at Leiden University, and in 2020 he founded the Knowledge Centre Psychology and Economic Behaviour.
Lelieveld, G.-J., & Van Dijk, E. (in press). Emotions in bargaining. In E. Karagözoğlu & K. Hyndman (Eds.), Bargaining: Current research and future directions. Palgrave MacMillan.
Van Dijk, E., & De Dreu, C. K. W. (in press). Experimental games and social decision making. Annual Review of Psychology.
Van Dijk, W. W., Goslinga, S., Terwel, B., & Van Dijk, E. (2020). How choice architecture can promote and undermine tax compliance: Testing the effects of prepopulated tax returns and accuracy confirmation. Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics, 87: 101574.
Stel, M., Schwarz, A., Van Dijk, E., & Van Knippenberg, A. (2020). The limits of conscious deception detection: When reliance on false deception cues contributes to inaccurate judgments. Frontiers in Psychology, 11: 1331.
- Dare, S. E., Van Dijk, W. W., Van Dijk, E., Van Dillen, L., Gallucci, M., & Simonse, O. (2020). The effect of financial education on pupils’ financial knowledge and skills. The Journal of Educational Research, 113, 93-107.
- Van Dijk, E., De Dreu, C. K. W., & Gross, J. (2020). Power in economic games. Current Opinion in Psychology, 33, 100-104.
- Mulder, L.B., & Van Dijk, E. (2020). Moral rationalization contributes more strongly to escalation of unethical behavior among low moral identifiers than among high moral identifiers. Frontiers in Psychology, 10: 2912.
- Doolaard, F., Lelieveld, G.-J., Noordewier, M. K., Van Beest, I., & Van Dijk, E. (2020). Get out or stay out: How the social exclusion process affects actors, but not targets. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 88: e103946.
- Gummerum, M., López-Pérez, B., Van Dijk, E., & Van Dillen, L.F. (2020). When punishment is emotion-driven: Children’s, adolescents’, and adults’ costly punishment of unfair allocations. Social Development, 29, 126-142.
- De Kwaadsteniet, E.W., Kiyonari, T., Molenmaker, W.E., & Van Dijk, E. (2019). Do people prefer leaders who enforce norms? Reputational effects of reward and punishment decisions in noisy social dilemmas. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 84: e103800.
- Molenmaker, W.E., De Kwaadsteniet, E.W., & Van Dijk, E. (2019). The effect of decision timing on the willingness to costly reward cooperation and punish noncooperation: Sanctioning the past, the present, or the future. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 32, 241-254.
- Noordewier, M.K., & Van Dijk, E. (2019). Surprise: Unfolding of facial expressions. Cognition and Emotion, 33 (5), 915-930.
- Lambregts, M.M.C., Visser, L.G., De Boer, M.G.J., Staats, H., & Van Dijk, E. (2019). Determinants of in-hospital antibiotic prescription behaviour - Authors’ reply. Clinical Microbiology and Infection, 25, 638-639.
- Warreman, E.B., Lambregts, M.M.C., Wouters, R.H.P., Visser, L.G., Staats, H., Van Dijk, E., & De Boer, M.G.J. (2019). Determinants of in-hospital antibiotic prescription behaviour: A systematic review and formation of a comprehensive framework. Clinical Microbiology and Infection, 25, 538-545.
- Castiglioni, C., Lozza, E., Van Dijk, E., & Van Dijk, W.W. (2019). Two sides of the same coin? An investigation on the effects of frames on tax compliance and charitable giving. Palgrave Communications, 5: 39.
- Mooijman, M., Van Dijk, W.W., Van Dijk, E., & Ellemers, N. (2019). Leader power, power stability, and interpersonal trust. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 152, 1-10.
2012 - 2015: Associate Editor Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes
2010 - 2015: Board member of the National Institute for Family Finance Information (NIBUD)
2009 - 2013: Associate Editor British Journal of Social Psychology
- Lid onafhankelijke Advisory Board voor Vertrouwensmonitor