Brian McGarry is Assistant Professor of Public International Law at the Grotius Centre for International Legal Studies. His research covers general international law topics, as well as the design, practice, and conceptual coherence of international courts and tribunals.
Prior to joining Leiden University in September 2019, Dr. McGarry was previously appointed as Lecturer and Senior Researcher at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva, Visiting Professor at Sciences Po Law School in Paris, and Visiting Scholar at the Lauterpacht Centre for International Law in Cambridge.
His forthcoming monograph, Intervening in International Justice (Cambridge University Press), draws from his Ph.D. on multilateral litigation before the International Court of Justice. For this work, the University of Geneva awarded him summa cum laude honours and its annual Prix Bellot for best thesis in law or political economy.
Dr. McGarry’s current research on inherent judicial powers integrates sociolegal and interdisciplinary perspectives, and has been awarded support from the Fulbright Scholar Program, the Swiss National Science Foundation, and the Praesidium Libertatis I Foundation of Leiden University. His research has appeared in the American Journal of International Law, the Journal of International Economic Law, and the Journal of International Dispute Settlement. He also serves as a peer-reviewer for the Cambridge International Law Journal, the Journal of Territorial and Maritime Studies, and the Max Planck Encyclopedia of International Procedural Law.
A member of the New York Bar, his academic interests are informed by experiences in the practice of the law of the sea, international environmental law, and international economic law. These include advising developing States on treaty negotiations, counseling developing States in litigation, clerking for international tribunals, and consulting with intergovernmental organizations. He serves as secrétaire-rédacteur to the Institut de Droit International, and regularly contributes to law and governance capacity-building programmes in Africa, Asia, and Oceania.
At the Grotius Centre, Dr. McGarry teaches or co-teaches courses in the General LL.M. programme (privatissimum on Contemporary Issues in the Law of the Sea; practicums on The Law and Practice of International Organizations and International Humanitarian Law) and the Adv. LL.M. in International Dispute Settlement and Arbitration (capita selecta on Principles of International Law and International Dispute Settlement). He also teaches or co-teaches courses for the International Justice B.A. at Leiden University College (Principles of Public International Law and Research Design).
- McGarry B.K. & Chávez Aco F. (16 December 2022), The competence of the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea in its new advisory proceedings on climate change. EJIL:Talk!. [blog entry].
- McGarry B.K. (30 May 2022), Mass intervention?: The Joint Statement of 41 states on Ukraine v. Russia. EJIL:Talk!. [blog entry].
- McGarry B.K. & Suedi Y. (2022), Judicial reasoning and non-state participation before inter-state courts and tribunals, Law and Practice of International Courts and Tribunals 21(1): 123-148.
- McGarry B.K. (2022), The protection of the environment through inter-state arbitration. In: Sobenes E., Mead S. & Samson B. (Eds.) The Environment Through the Lens of International Courts and Tribunals. The Hague: T.M.C. Asser Press. 99-120.
- McGarry B.K. & Zargarinejad N. (2022), Tracing the powers of WTO MPIA Arbitrators, McGill Journal of Dispute Resolution = Revue de règlement des différends de McGill 8(2022/2023): 1-22 (2).
- McGarry B.K. (2022), Who speaks for the Rohingya?: Ideals and realities of intervention before the World Court. In: Hasan M., Murshed S.M. & Pillai P. (Eds.) The Rohingya Crisis: Humanitarian and Legal Approaches. Routledge Research in Human Rights Law London: Routledge. 96-110.
- McGarry B.K. & Murashko E. (17 March 2021), Vienna and Geneva: Defining Arbitration in the Reform of Economic Institutions. Kluwer Arbitration Blog: Wolters Kluwer. [blog entry].
- McGarry B.K. (2021), Achieving Greater Access to Justice through Cost-Efficiency. In: De Brabandere E.C.P.D.C. (Ed.) International Procedure in Interstate Litigation and Arbitration: A Comparative Approach. Studies on International Courts and Tribunals Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 202-229.
- McGarry B.K., annotation: CJEU 31 January 2020, no. C-457/18, AJIL 2021,1: 101-107 (Republic of Slovenia v. Republic of Croatia).
- McGarry B.K. (2021), The Development of Custom in Territorial Dispute Settlement. In: Dupuy P.M. (Ed.) Customary International Law. International Law series no. 25 Cheltenham: Edward Elgar. 855-881.
- McGarry B.K. (30 December 2020), Legacy of the Statute of the Permanent Court of International Justice, 100 Years Onward. EJIL:Talk!: European Journal of International Law. [blog entry].
- McGarry B.K. (2020), Enforcement of Investment Court Decisions under the New York Convention: A Search for Defining Elements. In: Anderson A.M. & Beaumont B. (Eds.), The Investor-State Dispute Settlement System: Reform, Replace or Status Quo?. Alphen aan den Rijn: Kluwer Law International. 451-472.
- McGarry B.K. (11 September 2020), Third-State Intervention in the Rohingya Genocide Case: How, When, and Why? [Part II]. Opinio Juris. [blog entry].
- McGarry B.K. (11 September 2020), Third State Intervention in the Rohingya Genocide Case: How, When, and Why? [Part I]. Opinio Juris. [blog entry].
- Ruiz Fabri H., Mbengue M.M. & McGarry B.K. (2020), Introducing the Special Issue 22.4. Regime Convergence and Lex Ferenda in IUU Fishing Disputes: Introductory Remarks, International Community Law Review 22(4): 363-367.
- Ruiz Fabri H., Mbengue M.M. & McGarry B.K. (Eds.) (2020), Special Issue 22.4: The Dynamics of Disputes over Illegal, Unreported, and Unregulated Fishing. International Community Law Review.
- McGarry B.K. (2020), Norms, Standards, and the Elusive Nomenclature of the Gabčíkovo-Nagymaros Judgment. In: Forlati S., Mbengue M.M. & McGarry B.K. (Eds.), The Gabčíkovo-Nagymaros Judgment and Its Contribution to the Development of International Law. International Environmental Law no. 14. Leiden-Boston: Brill Nijhoff. 207-228.
- Forlati S., Mbengue M.M. & McGarry B.K. (2020), Preface. In: Forlati S., Mbengue M.M. & McGarry B.K. (Eds.), The Gabčíkovo-Nagymaros Judgment and Its Contribution to the Development of International Law. International Environmental Law no. 14. Leiden-Boston: Brill Nijhoff.
- Forlati S., Mbengue M.M. & McGarry B.K. (Eds.) (2020), The Gabčíkovo-Nagymaros Judgment and its Contribution to the Development of International Law. International Environmental Law no. 14. Leiden-Boston: Brill Nijhoff.
- McGarry B.K. (2020), Croatia-Slovenia Boundary Report. International Maritime Boundaries no. 8-20: Brill / American Society of International Law.
- McGarry B.K. (16 September 2019), The Theory and Practice of Intervention before the International Court of Justice (Dissertatie, Law, University of Geneva). Geneva: University of Geneva. Supervisor(s): Boisson de Chazournes L.
- McGarry B.K. & Ostransky J. (2019), Before the Law: Assessing the Process and Impact of Judicial Screening Bodies. In: Baetens F. (Ed.), Legitimacy of Unseen Actors in International Adjudication. Studies on International Courts and Tribunals. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 189-214.
- Mbengue M.M. & McGarry B.K. (2019), General Principles of International Environmental Law in the Case Law of International Courts and Tribunals. In: Andenas M., Fitzmaurice M., Tanzi A. & Wouters J. (Eds.), General Principles and the Coherence of International Law. Queen Mary Studies in International Law no. 37. Leiden: Brill | Nijhoff. 408-441.
No relevant ancillary activities