Brendan Carroll is assistant professor at the Institute of Public Administration. Carroll examines how member states’ administrative structures adapt to and seek to influence evolving EU policies through their role in the implementation of regulatory policy. In his research on public organizations, he investigates how bureaucratic structures in the European Commission and its member states evolve over time in response to political change and policy development. His research uses a variety of qualitative and quantitative methods that have involved conducting semi-structured interviews and the design and management of novel data structures.
- Anonymous (2020), Between Life and Death: Organizational Change in Central State Bureaucracies in Cross-National Comparison [Structure and Organization of Government project (SOG-Pro)] (translation: Carroll B.J., Bertels J., Froio C., Kuipers S.L., Schulze-Gabrechten L & Viallet-Thevenin S.), International Review of Administrative Sciences .
- Kuipers S.L., Yesilkagit A.K. & Carroll B.J. (2020), Ministerial influence on the machinery of government: insights on the Inside [Structure and Organization of Goverment Project] (translation: Kuipers S.L., Yesilkagit A.K. & Carroll B.J.), WEST EUROPEAN POLITICS .
- Resodihardjo S.L., Meijer M. & Carroll B.J. (2018), Het monstertruckdrama in Haaksbergen en het vertrek van burgemeester Gerritsen, Tijdschrift voor Veiligheid 17(3): 3-18.
- Carroll B.J. & Rasmussen A. (2017), Cultural capital and the density of organised interests lobbying the European Parliament, WEST EUROPEAN POLITICS 40(5): 1132-1152.
- Kuipers S.L., Yesilkagit A.K. & Carroll B.J. (2017), Coming to Terms with Termination of Public Organizations, Public Organization Review .
- Kuipers S.L., Yesilkagit A.K. & Carroll B.J. (2017), Organizational Demography. In: Farazmand A. (Ed.) Global Encyclopedia of Public Administration, Public Policy and Governance.: Springer.
- Carroll B. & Steunenberg B. (2016), Between Autonomy and Control: The Dynamics of EU Policy Implementation.
- Resodihardjo S.L., Carroll B.J., Eijk C.J.A. van & Maris S. (2016), Why Traditional Responses to Blame Games Fail: The Importance of Context, Rituals, and Sub-Blame Games in the Face of Raves Gone Wrong, Public Administration 94(2): 350–363.
- Berkhout J., Carroll B., Braun C., Chalmers A.W., Destrooper T., Lowery D., Otjes S. & Rasmussen A. (2015), Interest Organizations across economic sectors: explaining interest group density in the European Union, Journal of European Public Policy 22(4): 462-480.
- Carroll B.J. (30 October 2014), Adaptation, discretion, and the application of EU animal welfare legislation (PhD thesis. Instute of Public Administration, Faculty of The Hague, Leiden University). Supervisor(s): Steunenberg, B.
- Baroni L., Carroll B.J., Chalmers A.W., Marquez L.M.M. & Rasmussen A. (2014), Defining and classifying interest groups, Interest Groups and Advocacy 3(2): 141-159.
- Rasmussen A. & Carroll B.J. (2014), Determinants of Upper-Class Dominance in the Heavenly Chorus: Lessons from European Union Online Consultations, British Journal of Political Science 44(2): 445-459.
- Rasmussen A., Carroll B.J. & Lowery D. (2014), Representatives of the Public? Public Opinion and Interests Group Activity, forthcoming, European Journal of Political Research 53(2): 250-268.
- Rasmussen A., Carroll B.J. & Lowery D. (2013), Representatives of the public? Public opinion and interest group activity, European Journal of Political Research 53(2): 250-268.
- Resodihardjo S.L., Eijk C.J.A. van & Carroll B.J. (2012), Mayor vs. Police Chief: The Hoek van Holland Riot, Journal of Contingencies and Crisis Management 20(4): 231-243.
No relevant ancillary activities