Professor by special appointment of Military History
Ben Schoenmaker is Professor by special appointment of Military History at the Leiden institute for History.
Fields of interest
Military history from the Napoleonic era until the present, particularly the relationship between armed forces and society. Another main field of interest is the history of UN- or NATO-led peace and counterinsurgency operations.
The history of the Dutch armed forces and especially the Dutch contribution to international military and naval operations. Dutch defence policy and the relationship between armed forces and society in the nineteenth century.
The history of warfare and military thought in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Different topics concerning Dutch military history.
Dr. Ben Schoenmaker (Rotterdam, 1961) studied at Leiden University. He graduated in 1987 with a degree in history and economics. After he completed his military service in 1988, he was recruited by the Netherlands Institute of Military History (NIMH), which is part of the Ministry of Defence in The Hague. Since then he has published numerous books and articles on the history of the Dutch armed forces and on military history in general. In June 2017, he was appointed as director of the Netherlands Institute of Military History.
Ben Schoenmaker, Burgerzin en soldatengeest. De relatie tussen volk, leger en vloot 1832-1914. Amsterdam 2009.
Ben Schoenmaker en Floribert Baudet, Officieren aan het woord. De geschiedenis van de Militaire Spectator, 1832-2007. Amsterdam 2007.
B.C. de Pater, B. Schoenmaker e.a., De Grote Atlas van Nederland/Comprehensive Atlas of The Netherlands 1930-1950. Zierikzee 2005.
Ben Schoenmaker en Herman Roozenbeek, Vredesmacht in Libanon. De Nederlandse deelname aan UNIFIL 1979-1985. Amsterdam 2004.
J. Hoffenaar en B. Schoenmaker, Met de blik naar het Oosten. De Koninklijke Landmacht 1945-1990. Den Haag 1994.
- Schoenmaker B. (2 October 2016), The fate of the civilian population during operation Market Garden, September 1944 for Onvoltooid Verleden Tijd (OVT)(NPO Radio 1) [interview].
- Schoenmaker B. (20 December 2015), On the protest song written in 1969: ‘War! What is it good for?’ for Bureau Kijk in de Vegte(NPO Radio 2) [interview].
- Schoenmaker B. (17 November 2015), The definition of ‘war’ for Hallo Nederland(Omroep MAX) [interview].
- Schoenmaker B. (23 October 2015), The riots in the Infantry Schietkamp ‘De Harskamp’ in October 1918 for De Strijd(NPO 2) [interview].
- Schoenmaker B. (2 October 2015), Waterloo: Diary of a veteran (expert narrator). Interviewed by Rem P.(Omroep MAX) [interview].
- Schoenmaker B. (20 June 2015), Waterloo and language problems on the battlefield for De Taalstaat(NPO Radio 1) [interview].
- Schoenmaker B. (18 June 2015), The Dutch commemoration of the Battle of Waterloo on the Vlasakkers in Amersfoort for Nieuwsuur(NPO 1) [interview].
- Schoenmaker B. (3 June 2015), The Battle of Waterloo (200-year memorial) for Met Het Oog Op Morgen(NPO 1) [interview].
- Schoenmaker B. (30 May 2015), The historical significance of the New Dutch Waterline; reason was the decision to place the NHW on the UNESCO World Heritage List for EenVandaag(NPO 1) [interview].
- Schoenmaker B. (29 October 2012), Vredesoperaties en de terugkeer van de oorlog (Inaugural address). Leiden: Universiteit Leiden.
- Schoenmaker B. (4 June 2009), Burgerzin en soldatengeest (PhD thesis, Faculty of Arts, Leiden University). Amsterdam: Uitgeverij Boom. Supervisor(s): Groen P.M.H., Velde H. te.
- Dissel A.M.C van & Schoenmaker B. (2006), Het officierskruis. Voor eervolle langdurige dienst. Amsterdam: Boom.
- Hoofd Afdeling Operationele Dienstverlening en Ondersteuning