Alex Brandsen graduated in Archaeology (BA, Leiden, 2009) and Archaeological Information Systems (MSc, York, 2010). During his time in Leiden and York, he developed a strong interest in developing online systems in archaeology. This culminated in his MSc thesis, in which he developed an online GIS system to view, draw and annotate medieval graffiti on a wall in the York Minster. After having worked in web development for 7 years in the UK, he has returned to the Faculty of Archaeology in 2017 as a PhD candidate in Digital Archaeology.
Alex’ research interests lie at the intersection of Archaeology and Computer Science, with a specific passion for creating useful tools for other archaeologists to further their research. In his PhD, he will be using text mining techniques to unlock the information hidden in archaeological field reports. This will result in an online tool allowing researchers to search through this enormous amount of grey literature in a detailed and fine grained matter.
- Brandsen A., Lambers K., Verberne S. & Wansleeben M. (2019), User Requirement Solicitation for an Information Retrieval System Applied to Dutch Grey Literature in the Archaeology Domain, Journal of Computer Applications in Archaeology 2(1): 21-30.
- Brandsen A. & Claeyssens S. (2019), Slim en efficiënt zoeken met AGNES. Graven in archeologische onderzoeksrapporten, E-data & research 13(2): 7.
- Brandsen A. (2018), Digging in documents – using text mining to unlock the hidden knowledge in Dutch archaeological reports, TMA : tijdschrift voor mediterrane archeologie 59: 56.
- Brandsen A. (2018), DIR2018 (Website). [website].
- Brandsen A., Verberne S. & Wansleeben M. (2018), Named Entity Recognition in Dutch Archaeological Research Reports. Computational Linguistics in the Netherlands (CLIN) 28 26 1 2018-26 1 2018 [conference poster].
- Paijmans J.J. & Brandsen A (2010), Searching in archaeological texts: Problems and solutions using an artificial intelligence approach, PalArch's Journal of Archaeology of Egypt / Egyptology 7(2): 1-6.
- Freelance Web Development