Doing a PhD is both demanding and rewarding. Whether it is a step in your academic career, or the crown on your university education, doctoral research calls for intellectual prowess, creativity, and stamina. Leiden University’s Institute of Political Science offers you a professional and supporting environment for realising your scholarly ambitions.
There are two possibilities for pursuing a doctorate at Leiden University:
- university-funded PhD position: these positions are limited to relevant job openings for PhD candidates; there are no post-graduate tuition fees.
- self-funded PhD: these positions depend on successful application and acceptance by a supervisor; funding depends on the student’s self-obtained grants, job, or other arrangements; there are no tuition fees.
- considerable methodological knowledge and skills;
- some experience in setting up and carrying out small-scale research projects;
- knowledge of the literature relating to political science;
- good writing skills; and
- a strong interest in doing original research at the highest level.
Further background information about the Institute’s research programme and supervisors’ areas of expertise can be found here:
Current vacancies for university-funded PhD candidates are listed on the PhD positions site.
Leiden University’s Institute of Political Science participates in the Graduate School of the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences. The Graduate School facilitates PhD admission and registration, and provides some training and assistance. Further information can be found on the Graduate School website. There you will also find an extensive section for prospective PhD candidates.
A PhD first and foremost means conducting research and writing your dissertation. But as a PhD candidate you will also be stimulated to develop your skills through:
- training tailored to your research needs, offered in-house, and by the European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR);
- courses offered through the Graduate School;
- training and coaching from Leiden University’s programme for young academics.
Leiden Universityߴs PhD regulations, an overview of the formal procedure from starting to defending the PhD, as well as a number of relevant forms and templates are published on the PhD policies and procedures page.