Summer School in Languages and Linguistics
The Leiden Summer School in Languages and Linguistics offers a varied program of specialised courses in Descriptive linguistics, in Chinese, Germanic, Indo-European, Indian, Iranian, Semitic languages and linguistics, as well as a number of introductory linguistic courses.
During these two weeks of intense learning, you will be able to deepen and broaden your knowledge, at the same time enjoy the company of linguistics students and enthusiasts from all over the world.
Due to the corona pandemic and the uncertainties about the situation in July 2021, we have decided to organise an online version of the summer school this year.
- All courses are taught in English, which means that good knowledge of the English language is a basic requirement. Only the course on Russian literature is taught in Russian.
- The courses are offered via Zoom. It is recommended to install and test the app beforehand. At the beginning of July you will receive an email with links to the courses of your choice.
- Active participation in a course stands for 2 ECTS. At the end of the Summer School, every participant will receive a certificate, which will indicate the courses followed and the amount of awarded ECTS credits. In order to get 5 ECTS credits (in total per course), participants can ask their teacher for an extra take-home examination, which will then be corrected and graded after the Summer School. If the student passes, he/she will receive a new certificate with the extra three ECTS from the organisation.
- The 2021 Summer School in Languages and Linguistics includes 14 programs. The full Program 2021 (updated version 19 March) includes all course descriptions or visit the Program 2021 page.
- Course material Russian Literature: Russian Prose, Russian Poetry.
- Please visit the Application page for more information on participating in the Summer School.
|Fees*||4 courses||3 courses||2 courses||1 course|
|Registered BA/MA/PhD students (outside Leiden University)||€500,-||€410,-||€290,-||€170,-|
|BA/MA/PhD students, registered at Leiden University||€400,-||€320,-||€230,-||€140,-|
*Please note: the fee includes the courses, evening lectures and online social events.
- If you have already paid the tuition fee, but are no longer able to attend the Summer School, please contact the organisers as soon as possible.
- Refund deadlines: 10 June.
*Please note that for a refund we will ask you to pay €30,- administration costs. Refunds will be issued no earlier than September.
- Margot Starkenburg: firstname.lastname@example.org