Social and Organisational Psychology (MSc)
In the Master’s specialisation in Social and Organisational Psychology you study behaviour in formal and informal groups, such as sports or work teams.
Former Social and Organizational Psychology student
We all know people, but how do they work? Social & Organisational Psychology teaches you how people cooperate, how they make decisions and what motivates them.
Working as a teacher in human resource management, I've found Social & Organisational Psychology to provide you with essential knowledge for everyday use. I use it to motivate and engage my students to help them become the next generation of HR professionals.
Former Social & Organisational Psychology student
Studying Social and Organisational Psychology has given me a lot of insights I continuously apply in my job: from conversational techniques to knowledge about group dynamics, diversity, motivation, power, and leadership.
As a strategic account manager for the Missing Chapter Foundation I work on inclusivity, participation and sustainability. My job revolves around connecting the views of decision makers, struggling with strategic and societal issues, with the perspectives of younger generations. On a daily basis this means advising different types of decision makers and organisations, facilitating dialogue and a continuous translation of ideas into new strategies and innovations.
What does this master's programme entail?
Do you want to understand how people function in groups and organisations? You discover how people’s thoughts, feelings and decisions are influenced by other people.
Reasons to choose Social and Organisational Psychology at Leiden University
- The Social and Organisational department has a lot of very interesting research projects. You can possibly write your thesis or do an internship at one of these projects.
- You have a lot of freedom within Social and Organisational Psychology to choose the subjects you like most, for your internship, thesis and elective courses.
- Theory and practise are closely related in this specialisation.
- Examples from your daily life will be used in the coursework, which will make the discussions actual and relevant.
- Because your knowledge as a Social and Organisational Psychologist is relevant in nearly every workfield, you can work for a lot of different organisations, in a wide variety of functions.
Social and Organisational Psychology: the right programme for you?
The Leiden programme has a core curriculum that integrates social and organisational theory and practice. Building on this common body of knowledge, you can focus on different issues. You choose specific topics for your course assignments, thesis and internship, or you select specific elective courses, depending on your interests and ambitions. The staff of the Social and Organisational Psychology specialisation offer a wide range of topics, with the option to participate in flourishing research programmes on cultural diversity, leadership, economic decision-making and environmental behaviour.