Applied Cognitive Psychology (MSc)
In this specialisation you develop all the practical and intellectual skills necessary to apply psychological knowledge to real-life problems in working environments and organisations.
Maurits van Heusden
Former Applied Cognitive Psychology student
This specialisation is very practical by nature. It features consultancy-like team assignments, a visit to a professional to assess their cognitive load at work and a school trip to an IT consulting firm. If you like, you can even do your internship abroad. Fun and useful stuff!
What does this master's programme entail?
Are you interested in addressing and remedying important practical problems in society? Do you want to help raise people’s performance levels? You can use the knowledge you acquire in this programme in the following areas:
- Optimising the cognitive capabilities of people of all ages
- Advice on the optimal circumstances for performance and learning
- Studying the effects of drugs on human performance
- Developing accident-prevention programmes, e.g. safety research in industry and traffic
- Developing user-friendly tools and interfaces
- Improving decision-making processes: psychology and law, including the topics of eyewitness memory, false confessions and jury decision-making
The main emphasis is on translating theory into practice. The aim of this master’s specialisation is to provide you with a maximum of hands-on experience starting on the very first day.
Reasons to choose Applied Cognitive Psychology at Leiden University
- Leiden University is the only institution in the Netherlands where you can follow this master specialisation in English, which makes it unique in its kind.
- The special part about this master specialisation is the focus on cognitive enhancements. Because the brain is plastic, you learn how to enhance your own and others performance. How do athlets, employees or elderly gain the best out of themselves? You will acquire that knowledge!
- With this master specialisation, you have good opportunities on the job market. You can purchase a job in the commercial sector, or a job at companies dealing with traffic or ICT. You will be challenged during your study in several manners: fieldwork, divergent possibilities for an internship and you will develop a business plan.
Applied Cognitive Psychology: the right programme for you?
The master’s specialisation Applied Cognitive Psychology in Leiden focuses on both cognitive enhancement and cognitive ergonomics. Besides the mandatory courses students can choose an internship position, a thesis subject and several electives of their own interest within these various disciplines in psychology. In this way students are able to choose specific topics depending on their own interest and ambitions. The integrative approach and the combination of theory with analysis of realistic case studies make the master’s specialisation in Applied Cognitive Psychology at Leiden University unique and useful for a wide range of careers.