Philosophy of Knowledge (MA)
To be eligible for Philosophy of Knowledge at Leiden University, you must meet the following admission requirements.
The following diploma requirements apply for this programme:
- A bachelor’s degree in Philosophy
- Relevant knowledge of Philosophy of Knowledge and its history, equivalent to the knowledge obtained in the pre-master’s programme for Philosophy of Knowledge or
- Completed the pre-Master's programme. Read more here.
If your diploma does not grant direct admission to the programme, the Board of Admissions will assess your application. To be considered as eligible, you must meet the following requirements:
- a bachelor’s degree from a research university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic Bachelor’s degree, or demonstrate to meet the requirements for such a degree, including the General Academic Skills, and
- the ability to formulate a clear philosophical research question, to develop and formulate a critical view on that question, and to support this view by means of argument and analysis, to be determined on the basis of a writing sample.
relevant knowledge of theoretical philosophy and its history, equivalent to the knowledge obtained in the pre-master’s programme for Philosophy of Knowledge.
You will be requested to provide the Board of Admissions with information demonstrating that you possess the same level of knowledge, understanding and skills as holders of a degree as specified in the General diploma requirements.
In order to succesfully participate in this programme, you must be proficient in English. The following requirements apply:
- IELTS: 7.0
- TOEFL (internet-based): 100
For detailed information, including exemption criteria and methods of submission, refer to English language proficiency.
English tests accepted
Results may not be more than two years old!
- IELTS: academic modules only
- TOEFL: internet based
- We do not accept TOEFL My Best ™ scores (multiple test scores combined). The sufficient score must be obtained in one individual test. Also not accepted are institutional tests such as ITP.
- We are able to accept the TOEFL Special Home Edition™ for admission to the academic years 2020-2021 and 2021-2022.
- Cambridge English Exam C2 Proficiency or C1 Advanced, depending on admission criteria
Please note: You do not have to submit proof of proficiency if you have completed your education in Canada (except French-taught programmes in Canada), USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia, or when you hold an International Baccalaureate, or for Dutch students, if you have completed VWO level English or an English taught bachelor at a Dutch Research University.