North American Studies (MA)
To be eligible for North American Studies at Leiden University, you must meet the following admission requirements.
- A bachelor’s degree from a university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic bachelor’s degree in American Studies, or in the field of Humanities or Social Sciences with an (official) specialisation in American History.
- Applicants should have completed courses worth at least 30 EC in the field of American Studies.
- Completed the pre-master's / bridging programme. Read more here.
In order to successfully participate in this programme, you must be proficient in English. The following requirements apply:
- IELTS: 7.0 (for the 'speaking' and 'writing' components a minimum score of 7.0 is required)
- TOEFL: 100 (for the 'speaking' and 'writing' components a minimum score of 25 is required)
- Cambridge C1 or C2: 185
For detailed information, including exemption criteria and methods of submission, refer to English language proficiency.
English tests accepted
Results may not be more than two years old!
- IELTS: academic modules only
- TOEFL: internet based
- We do not accept TOEFL My Best ™ scores (multiple test scores combined). The sufficient score must be obtained in one individual test. Also not accepted are institutional tests such as ITP.
- We are able to accept the TOEFL Special Home Edition™ for admission to the academic years 2020-2021 and 2021-2022.
- Cambridge English Exam C2 Proficiency or C1 Advanced, depending on admission criteria
Please note: You do not have to submit proof of proficiency if you have completed your education in Canada (except French-taught programmes in Canada), USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia, or when you hold an International Baccalaureate, or for Dutch students, if you have completed VWO level English or an English taught bachelor at a Dutch Research University.