North American Studies (MA)
To be eligible for North American Studies at Leiden University, you must meet the following admission requirements.
- You are eligible to apply for the MA North American Studies if you have:A bachelor’s degree from a university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic bachelor’s degree, in American Studies, or in the field of Humanities or Social Sciences with an (official) specialisation in American History.
- You should have completed courses worth at least 30 EC in the field of American Studies.
The following applicants are considered to have fulfilled the requirements mentioned above:
- Applicants who have a Bachelor’s degree from a Dutch research university in Humanities or Social Sciences and who have completed the minor in American Studies at Leiden University are considered to have fulfilled this requirement.
- Applicants with a Bachelor’s degree from a Dutch research university in International Studies who have completed all area courses for North America worth 20 credits, and wrote their BA Thesis on North America and/or completed at least one 10-EC course which is included in the minor or pre-master programme in American Studies.
If you have a bachelor’s degree from a research university in the Humanities or Social Sciences that does not meet the requirements specified above, you may be eligible for a pre-master programme of 30 EC. If you have completed the imposed pre-master programme, you will be admitted to the master’s programme. Read more about the pre-master’s programme.
Students holding a Bachelor’s degree from a university of applied sciences (hbo) in History, English, European Studies or Journalism will be admitted after completing the pre-master programme of 60 EC. Read more about the pre-master’s programme.
In order to successfully participate in this programme, you must be proficient in English. The following requirements apply:
- IELTS: 7.0 (for the 'speaking' and 'writing' components a minimum score of 7.0 is required)
- TOEFL: 100 (for the 'speaking' and 'writing' components a minimum score of 25 is required)
- Cambridge C1 or C2: 185
For detailed information, including exemption criteria and methods of submission, refer to English language proficiency.
English tests accepted
Note that English test results may not be more than two years old. The following types of English test are accepted:
- IELTS: Academic
- We do not accept IELTS General Training or IELTS Indicator
- TOEFL: internet based
- We do not accept the following types of test: TOEFL My Best ™ scores (multiple test scores combined), TOEFL Essentials™ or institutional tests such as ITP.
- We can accept the TOEFL IBT Special Home Edition™ and the TOEFL IBT Paper Edition for admission to the academic years 2021-2022 and 2022-2023.
- Cambridge English Exam C2 Proficiency or C1 Advanced, depending on admission criteria
Please note: You do not have to submit proof of proficiency if you have completed your education in the USA, the UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, Canada (except French-taught programmes in Canada) Singapore, South-Africa or Malta, or when you hold an International Baccalaureate, or for Dutch students, if you have completed VWO level English or an English taught bachelor at a Dutch Research University.