International Relations and Diplomacy (MSc)
To be eligible for MSc International Relations and Diplomacy (Advanced) at Leiden University, you must meet the following admission requirements.
You can apply for admission if you have:
- A bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) from a recognised university in political science, international relations, international law, public administration, economics, sociology or history.
In exceptional cases, applicants with prior education in other fields, but with outstanding academic qualities, or with professional experience in the area of international relations and diplomacy, may be admitted to the programme. The number of students admitted to this programme is limited.
- Demonstrated excellence in prior academic education.
- Proof of thorough proficiency in English: IELTS 7.0, TOEFL 100 or Cambridge CPE/CAE 185, evidenced by an appropriate test.
This requirement does not apply for
- students who have completed their education in any one of the following countries: Canada (except Quebec), USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand, and Australia
- graduates of the following English-language institutions in the Netherlands:
- University College Utrecht
- University College Maastricht
- Amsterdam University College
- Leiden University College, and
- Roosevelt Academy
- graduates of the following English-language programmes in the Netherlands:
- University of Twente: European Studies Specialization (Public Administration)
- University of Maastricht: European Studies
- Webster University (Leiden Campus)
- University of Tilburg: Liberal Arts and Sciences
If you do not fall within one of these categories, you need to submit proof of English proficiency (as outlined above) with your application.
For detailed information, including exemption criteria and methods of submission, refer to English language proficiency.
English tests accepted
Results may not be more than two years old!
- IELTS: academic modules only
- TOEFL: internet based
- We do not accept TOEFL My Best ™ scores (multiple test scores combined). The sufficient score must be obtained in one individual test. Also not accepted are institutional tests such as ITP.
- We are able to accept the TOEFL Special Home Edition™ for admission to the academic years 2020-2021 and 2021-2022.
- Cambridge English Exam C2 Proficiency or C1 Advanced, depending on admission criteria
Please note: You do not have to submit proof of proficiency if you have completed your education in Canada (except French-taught programmes in Canada), USA, UK, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia, or when you hold an International Baccalaureate, or for Dutch students, if you have completed VWO level English or an English taught bachelor at a Dutch Research University.