International Dispute Settlement and Arbitration (Advanced LL.M.)
Why Leiden University
The Master of Advanced Studies in International Dispute Settlement and Arbitration programme builds on the excellence in research and teaching of the Grotius Centre for International Legal Studies, a recognized centre of expertise in the area of international dispute settlement.
Professor Eric De Brabandere
Due to the selected cookie settings, we cannot show this video here.Watch the video on the original website or
10 reasons why you should study International Dispute Settlement and Arbitration in The Hague
As a student of the International Dispute Settlement and Arbitration Advanced Studies programme, you will benefit from:
- Excellent reputation: Leiden Law School enjoys a strong international reputation for its high-quality education and research.
- Unique focus: Graduates will gain in-depth knowledge of public international law dispute settlement and arbitration, but will also be trained in private dispute settlement, equipping them with skills that will prepare them for the future.
- Expert instructors: You will be taught by expert staff and guest lecturers who are internationally renowned in the field of dispute settlement and arbitration. Many of our teaching staff are arbitrators, attorneys-at-law or prominent members of international organisations such as the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA).
- Professional skills: In addition to the theory, you will be trained in professional skills, including drafting arbitral awards and arguing written and oral motions.
- Located in the Hague: The Hague is a hub of international legal institutions, and home of International Court of Justice and the Permanent Court of Arbitration, making it the perfect place to study international dispute settlement and arbitration.
- Small class sizes: The small class sizes encourage in-depth interaction between students and the academic staff.
- Superior research resources: As a student, you will have access to several extensive library collections, including the Leiden Law School Library and the Peace Palace library in The Hague, which houses one of the world’s largest legal collections.
- International environment: In addition to the international focus of the curriculum, the unique blend of students and instructors makes our programme a truly global experience.
- Moot court experience: You will have the opportunity to participate in a Moot Court such as the Telders International Law Moot Court Competition, the Frankfurt Investment Arbitration Moot Court, the ELSA WTO Moot Court Competition or the Willem C. Vis Moot Court Competition.
- Visits to Institutions in The Hague: You will have the opportunity to visit the Permanent Court of Arbitration, the International Court of Justice and other institutions in the Hague such as the Iran-US Claims Tribunal.
Studying at Leiden Law School
Leiden Law School offers challenging, top quality education with many opportunities for talent to flourish. The law school is internationally orientated and has many contacts with universities, political bodies and the professional field. Our teaching staff combine a solid academic basis with current knowledge in the professional field. As a result the study programmes offered are versatile, topical and socially relevant. With our additional location in The Hague we are in close proximity to the political and international organisations that operate in the areas of law, justice and policy-making.
Study at a world-class university
Leiden University is the oldest university in the Netherlands and enjoys an excellent worldwide reputation built up over more than four centuries. Since 1575 we’ve provided sound personal education for hundreds of thousands of students. We’ll do our utmost to give you the best possible support. And if you can and want to do more, we’ll challenge you every step of the way. For many years, we’ve been among the leaders in Dutch university rankings and we are currently to be found in a variety of top international rankings too.
More reasons to choose Leiden University