International Dispute Settlement and Arbitration (Advanced LL.M.)
Leiden University’s Master of Laws in Advanced Studies in International Dispute Settlement and Arbitration (LL.M.) is an high-level postgraduate programme on the theory and practice of international dispute settlement and arbitration in international law.
Eric de Brabandere
Professor of International Dispute Settlement
"The LL.M. Adv. in International Dispute Settlement and Arbitration focuses on public international law, but blends in private law dimensions, equipping graduates with skills for a new legal landscape. The requisite skill sets for private or public arbitration or dispute settlement are merging.”
“Learning by the hands of prominent scholars and civil servants from The Hague’s international institutions provided me with in-depth knowledge regarding the functioning, characteristics, and latest developments in the areas of international adjudication and international arbitration.”
"The specialisation in international dispute settlement challenged me to think about international law in a different way. It strikes a perfect balance between theoretical approaches and the practice of law, both in the substance of the courses and the expertise and experience of the lecturers."
Why did Samantha choose International Dispute Settlement and Arbitration?
Due to the selected cookie settings, we cannot show this video here.Watch the video on the original website or
What does this master's programme entail?
How do States settle their international disputes? How is litigation and arbitration at the international law level conducted ? Can investment disputes between a State and a foreign investor or between two States be arbitrated? What is the role of the International Court of Justice and other international courts and tribunals in international society?
Learn in our Advanced Master Programmes 'International Dispute Settlement and Arbitration'(LL.M.) how to answer and deal with these and other questions from an international law perspective.
Reasons to choose International Dispute Settlement and Arbitration?
As a student of Advanced Studies in International Dispute Settlement and Arbitration, you will benefit from:
- Excellent reputation: Leiden Law School enjoys a strong international reputation for its high-quality education and research.
- Unique focus: Graduates will gain in-depth knowledge of law dispute settlement and arbitration in public international, but dispute settlement in other fields will also be noticed, equipping them with skills that will prepare them for their future profession.
- Expert instructors: You will be taught by expert staff and guest lecturers who are internationally renowned in the field of dispute settlement and arbitration. Many of our teaching staff are not only academics, but also arbitrators, attorneys-at-law or prominent members of international organisations such as the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA).
Find more reasons to study International Dispute Settlement and Arbitration at Leiden University.
Is International Dispute Settlement and Arbitration the right programme for you?
The programme International Dispute Settlement and Arbitration is a good fit for your if you have a sincere interest in the field and:
- you are a qualified lawyer who would like to further specialize in the field or enhance your career prospects, or;
- you are an excellent student who has a full degree in Law offering access to legal practice, or;
- you have relevant professional experience in the field.
The programme caters to those who are working in or would like to pursue a career in legal practice, international organisations, governmental institutions, international non-governmental organisations or in academia. You can follow the programme full-time for one year or part-time for two years.
Read more about the entry requirements for International Dispute Settlement and Arbitration.