Comparative Criminal Justice (MSc)
PLEASE NOTE: the application deadline to start in September 2023 is being brought forward to 15 MAY 2023. If you need a visa or residence permit you must still apply for admission before 1 April.
- If you need a visa or residence permit, you must apply for admission before 1 April. The same deadline applies to students who already have a Dutch residence permit for study purposes and need to extend it.
- If you do not need a visa or residence permit, you must apply for admission before 15 June.
- If you need a visa or residence permit, you must apply for admission before 15 October.
- If you do not need a visa or residence permit, you must apply for admission before 15 November.
Starting in February
Please note: Students who start in February, start with the programme that is normally offered in the second semester. We generally advise against starting in February, because the first semester (starting September) offers courses that introduce students to content and methods that are very helpful for understanding the material in the second semester. In particular, Comparative Criminal Justice Research Methods is offered to remedy any deficiencies in legal or empirical research methods.
For this reason, students who do not yet have a background in both criminal law and social science research methods cannot be admitted in February and must apply to start in September.
If you want to apply for a scholarship, grant or loan, please bear in mind that different deadlines apply, and these deadlines can often be earlier. Deadlines vary per scholarship. Visit the scholarship website for more details.
If you don’t have a Dutch diploma that grants direct admission, you’ll have to complete a two-part application procedure:
- First register your application(s) in the national system Studielink.
- A day later you will receive log-in details for Leiden University’s application system (uSis), where you can complete your application.
You must submit your application via Leiden University’s application system (uSis), before the deadlines mentioned above. So don’t delay; if you haven’t registered in Studielink and activated your uSis account in time to apply by the deadline, you’ll miss out!
For this programme you cannot be directly admitted! All students must register via Studielink and apply for admission via the online application portal (uSis) before the deadline.