Foundations of Computing (MSc)
About the programme
The two-year Foundations of Computing programme (120 EC) includes mandatory core courses and electives, as well as a Master's Thesis Research Project.
The curriculum of the Advanced Computing and Systems specialisation consists of:
- Core programme (36 EC)
- Specialisation courses and seminars (42EC)
- Master's Thesis Research Project (42 EC)
Read more about the programme outline and courses.
Are you ready for this programme?
The Foundations of Computing programme is a research-oriented master programme and requires you to have the appropriate knowledge and skills before you start. The most important prior knowledge and skills can be summarised as follows:
- Good programming skills in C++, Java, or Python
- Good knowledge of mathematics (incl. working with complex numbers) and linear algebra
- Good knowledge of discrete mathematics (set theory, graphs, logic), data structures, and algorithms
- Basic knowledge of computational complexity theory (NP-hardness, reductions, etc.)
- Good knowledge of logic, logical proofs, and mathematical theories of computation
- Good academic reading and writing skills; proficient in LaTeX
- Excellent command of English, both in writing and speaking
- Independent and critical research attitude
- Computer lab
- Individual research paper
- Literature study
- Working group
- Master's Thesis Research Project