To be eligible for Egyptology at Leiden University, you must meet the following admission requirements.
You are eligible to apply for the MA Classics and Ancient Civilizations: Egyptology if you have:
- A bachelor’s degree from a Dutch research university in Ancient Near Eastern Studies/ Ancient Cultures of the Mediterranean World: Egyptology; or
- A bachelor’s degree from a research university, equivalent to the level of a Dutch academic Bachelor’s degree; and
- Knowledge of at least one of the following with at least 30 EC (or equivalent), obtained through an academic Bachelor’s degree in the Humanities or Archaeology with a particular focus on Egyptology:
- the grammar of the most important phases of the Egyptian language, of the relevant scripts and of the historical development of the language and scripts;
- the archaeology, the material culture and art history of Ancient Egypt;
- the cultural history of Egypt, including its literature, its religion, and its social structure.
The Board of Admissions will assess whether your degree and background are sufficiently related to the level and content of a bachelor’s degree from a Dutch research university in Ancient Near Eastern Studies: Egyptology on the basis of the requirements specified above.
Students with a Bachelor in Ancient Near Eastern Studies: Egyptology from Leiden University are directly eligible for admission. Students can apply in Studielink. There is no need to submit an application for admission using the online application portal.
If you have a bachelor’s degree from a research university that does not meet the requirements specified above, you may be eligible for a pre-master programme tailored to your individual background. After submitting your application in Studielink, the Board of Admissions will decide whether you can be directly admitted to the master’s programme or whether you will first need to complete a pre-master’s programme. It is not possible to apply for a pre-master’s programme directly. Once you completed the imposed pre-master programme, you will be admitted to the Master’s programme.
For questions about the pre-master’s programme please contact the Coordinator of Studies.
Applicants with a degree from a Dutch university of applied sciences (HBO) or equivalent are not eligible for admission to the Master’s and pre-master’s programme.
In order to successfully participate in this programme, you must be proficient in English. The following requirements apply:
- IELTS: 7.0
- TOEFL: 100
- C2 Proficiency (former CPE) or C1 Advanced (former CAE): 185
A minimum score of IELTS 7.0 or TOEFL 25 is required for each of the four components.
For detailed information, including exemption criteria and methods of submission, refer to English language proficiency.
English tests accepted
Note that English test results may not be more than two years old. The following types of English test are accepted:
- IELTS: Academic
- We do not accept IELTS General Training or IELTS Indicator
- TOEFL: internet based
- We do not accept the following types of test: TOEFL My Best ™ scores (multiple test scores combined), TOEFL Essentials™ or institutional tests such as ITP.
- We can accept the TOEFL IBT Special Home Edition™ and the TOEFL IBT Paper Edition for admission to the academic years 2021-2022 and 2022-2023.
- Cambridge English Exam C2 Proficiency or C1 Advanced, depending on admission criteria
Please note: You do not have to submit proof of proficiency if you have completed your education in the USA, the UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, Canada (except French-taught programmes in Canada) Singapore, South-Africa or Malta, or when you hold an International Baccalaureate, or for Dutch students, if you have completed VWO level English or an English taught bachelor at a Dutch Research University.