Politics, Society and Economy of Asia (MA) (60EC)
The application procedure consists of three steps.
Part 1. Apply for a programme in Studielink
All students applying for a programme at Leiden University will need to start in Studielink. Apply in Studielink for the master’s programme of your choice. Studielink will be open for applications from 10 October.
Please follow the instructions given in Studielink. After taking the first step, you will receive an email with the following information (but bear in mind that it can take a few days):
- confirmation that you have started the application process in Studielink
- login details for Leiden University’s online application portal (uSis)
In the online application portal, Leiden University will let you know whether you qualify for automatic admission and will guide you through all necessary steps to complete your registration, as well as informing you about what you have to do after applying.
Part 2. Online application at Leiden University
In our online application portal you can finalise your application by uploading the necessary documents and answering a few questions. The portal provides an overview of what you need to do to complete your application at Leiden University. Please follow the instructions carefully.
All students with an international degree have to pay a non-refundable €100 application fee. This fee cannot be refunded and entitles you to apply for up to three programmes/specialisations within the same academic year. After we have received your application fee, we will start processing your application. Please do not delay paying the fee as this will delay the application process. The online application system describes how you can pay the fee.
Can I be exempted from paying the application fee?
You do not have to pay the application fee if:
- You submit a copy of a bachelor’s degree or current bachelor’s transcript from a Dutch institute of higher education (hbo or wo).
- You were previously registered as a foreign exchange, bachelor’s, master’s or pre-master’s student at Leiden University.
- You have refugee status in the Netherlands (residence permit for asylum).
- You are an Indonesian student applying for an MSc programme and have been issued with a 'review letter' by the Leiden Science Indonesia Office.
- You have previously been admitted to a degree programme at Leiden University, but you decided to postpone your studies. This does not apply if you wish to apply for a different study programme or specialisation.
Exemptions cannot be granted on any other grounds.
After submitting your application, the online portal will, if applicable, ask you if you want to apply for student housing, a visa or a scholarship. Make a careful note of the deadlines for applying for a scholarship, student visa/residence permit and student accommodation.
- Upon receipt of your application fee (if applicable), the Admissions Office will check whether all the necessary documents have been uploaded and will inform you by email whether your application is complete or if there are any omissions.
- Your application will then be forwarded to the Board of Admissions at the faculty and they will decide whether you meet the entry requirements of the degree programme of your choice.
- The Board of Admissions will make a decision within four to six weeks after the University has received your application.
The Board of Admissions will send you its decision by email within four to six weeks after Leiden University has received your application.
There are two possible options:
- You are conditionally admitted; in other words you will be admitted, provided you meet certain conditions.
The condition(s) will be given in the decision letter. Important: the decision letter will always contain the condition, that, in case that more than 100 candidates are admitted, a qualitative selection procedure will decide on your placement in the master.
- You are not admitted, because you do not meet the programme’s entry requirements.
The reasons will be clearly stated in the decision letter.
The Admissions Office will ask you to inform them whether you will accept the offer of conditional admission. Please go to the online application portal (uSis) to accept the offer. You have the following choices:
- Accept, but start later
Part 3. Student registration
You’ve been admitted? Congratulations! Follow the steps below to register as a student of Leiden University:
- Check in the online application portal (uSis) whether you need to submit any documents to meet your conditions of admission, if applicable. Instructions on how to do so will be provided in uSis.
- Arrange tuition fee payment before the official start date of your study programme. You will receive instructions and information on payment methods by email.
- International students should also go to our prepare your stay pages to find out about all the practical matter you should take care of before and upon arrival. For example arranging housing, applying for a visa/residence permit and taking out insurances.