Thijs Brocades Zaalberg
As a military historian I teach and write on colonial warfare, counter-insurgency and peace operations. Currently I am coordinating a theme group at the Netherlands Insitute for Advanced Studies (NIAS) that compares extreme violence during the wars of decolonization. I have studied at the University of Groningen and Trinity College Dublin and earned my PhD at the University of Amsterdam in 2005. Before joining Leiden University I worked at Netherlands Institute of Military History (NIMH) in The Hague. My other half-time position is as an Associate Professor at the Faculty of Military Sciences of the Netherlands Defence Academy in Breda.
My research concentrates on the nexus between the military and civil authorities in crisis and conflict. On this topic I have authored Soldiers and Civil Power and co-authored A Gentle Occupation: Dutch Military Operations in Iraq, 2003-2005. As an editor and author I also contribute to the volumes on overseas military operations in the NIMH-series The Military History of the Netherlands. Another book I co-authored is American Visions of the Netherlands East Indies: US Foreign Policy and Indonesian Nationalism, 1920-1949.
- Brocades Zaalberg T.W. (2017), The Snake Oil of Stabilisation? Explaining the Rise and Demise of the Comprehensive Approach. In: Winning Without Killing. The Strategic and Operational Utility of Non-Kinetic Capabilities in Crises. Netherlands annual review of military studies no. 2017 The Hague: T.M.C. Asser Press. 67-89.
- Brocades Zaalberg T.W. (2013), The Pitfalls of Cross-National Comparison in Conflict Research, Journal of Strategic Studies 36(6): 907-912.
- Knaap G., Heijer H. den, Jong M. (Authors), Brocades Zaalberg T.W. & Groen P. (Eds.) (2015), Oorlogen Overzee. Militair Optreden door Compagnie en Staat buiten Europa 1595-1814. Amsterdam: Boom.
- Brocades Zaalberg T.W. (2015), The Use and Abuse of the ‘Dutch Approach’ to Counter-Insurgency, Journal of Strategic Studies 36(6): 867-897.
- Brocades Zaalberg T.W. & Cate A.B. ten (2014), A Gentle Occupation. Dutch Military Operations in Iraq, 2003-2005. Leiden: Leiden University Press.
- Chiari B., Labanca N., Brocades Zaalberg T.W. & Schoenmaker B. (Eds.) (2014), From Venus to Mars? Provincial Reconstruction Teams and the European Military Experience in Afghanistan, 2001–2014. Freiburg i.Br., Berlin and Vienna: Rombach Verlag.
- Brocades Zaalberg T.W. (2014), In de Oost. In: Schoenmaker B. (Ed.) Tweehonderd jaar Koninklijke Landmacht, 1814-2014. Amsterdam: Boom. 138-159.
- Brocades Zaalberg T.W. (2013), The Civil and Military Dimensions of Dutch Counter-Insurgency on Java, 1947-1949, British Journal for Military History 1(2): 67-83.
- Brocades Zaalberg T.W. & Cate A. ten (2012), A Gentle Occupation. Unravelling the Dutch approach in Iraq, 2003-2005, Small Wars and Insurgencies 23(1): 117-143.
- Brocades Zaalberg T.W. (2012), Counter-Insurgency and Peace Operations. In: Rich P.B., Duyvesteyn I. (Eds.) The Routledge Handbook of Insurgency and Counter-Insurgency. Routledge Handbooks Oxford and New York. 80-98.
- Brocades Zaalbert T.W. (2010), De nasleep van Somalië, Rwanda en Srebrenica: overeenkomsten en verschillen, BMGN: Low Countries Historical Review 125(1): 39-47.
- Brocades Zaalberg T.W. (2005), Soldiers and Civil Power: Supporting and Substituting Civil Authorities in Modern Peace Operations. Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press.
- Gouda F. & Brocades Zaalberg T.W. (2002), American Visions of the Netherlands East Indies / Indonesia: U.S. Foreign Policy and Indonesian Nationalism, 1920-1949. Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press.
- Universitair Hoofddocent