Suzanne Naafs is a lecturer at the Institute of Cultural Anthropology and Development Sociology, Leiden University. Currently, she supervises and teaches on gender, development, and diversity in Leiden and at LUC in The Hague.
Suzanne studied Cultural Anthropology in Leiden and holds a PhD in Development Studies from the Institute of Social Studies, Erasmus University (2012). Her research interests are in the fields of international development, urban anthropology, gender and youth studies, with a geographical focus on Indonesia. She has researched and published on global changes in higher education, young people’s pathways into work, middle-class lifestyles and intergenerational mobility in urban Indonesia (and Southeast Asia more broadly).
Prior to joining Leiden University, Suzanne held research positions at the Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore; the University of South Australia; and the Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies (KITLV).
- Naafs S. & Skelton T. (Eds.) (2019), Realities and Aspirations for Asian Youth: Education, Training, Employment. London and New York: Routledge.
- Naafs S. (2018), Contesting Development: Youth and Industrial Labor in Peri-Urban Banten, Indonesia. In: Padawangi R. (Ed.) Routledge Handbook of Urbanisation in Southeast Asia. London and New York: Routledge. 277-287.
- Naafs S. (2018), Youth Aspirations and Employment in Provincial Indonesia: a View from the Lower Middle Classes, Children's Geographies 16(1): 53-65.
- Naafs S. & Skelton T. (2018), Youthful Futures? Aspirations, Education and Employment in Asia, Children's Geographies 16(1): 1-14.
- Naafs S. (2015), Negotiating Access, Inside Indonesia 120(April-June).
- Sastramidjaja Y. & Naafs S. (2015), Youth Employment Prospects and Aspirations (guest editorial), Inside Indonesia 120(April-June).
- Naafs S. (2014), Book review: Adolescents in Contemporary Indonesia Review of: Parker L., Nilan P. (2013) Adolescents in Contemporary Indonesia, (34 (February)).
- Naafs S. (2013), Youth, Gender and the Workplace: Shifting Opportunities and Aspirations in an Indonesian Industrial Town, The Annals of the American Academy of Social and Political Science 646(1): 233-250.
- Naafs S & White B. (2012), Intermediate Generations: Reflections on Indonesian Youth Studies, The Asia Pacific Journal of Anthropology 13(1): 3-20.
- Naafs S. (2012), Navigating School to Work Transitions in an Indonesian Industrial Town: Young Women in Cilegon, The Asia Pacific Journal of Anthropology 13(1): 49-63.
- Naafs S. (2010), Music VCDs and the New Generation: Negotiating Youth, Femininity, and Islam in Indonesia. In: Herrera L., Bayat A. (Eds.) Being Young and Muslim: New Cultural Politics in the Global South and North.: Oxford University Press. 341-354.