Sandy Overgaauw obtained her master’s degree in Education and Child studies (specialisation Clinical Child and Adolescent Studies) at Leiden University. During her PhD project she investigated the development of neural correlates of empathy in healthy children and adolescents. The objective was to gain understanding of developmental changes and individual differences in empathic concern as well as the relation with (pro)social behavior.
Sandy Overgaauw obtained her master’s degree in Education and Child studies (specialisation Clinical Child and Adolescent Studies) at the Leiden University. During her PhD project she investigated the development of neural correlates of empathy in healthy children and adolescents. The objective was to gain understanding of developmental changes and individual differences in empathic concern as well as the relation with (pro)social behavior.
She is currently focusing on the role of self-focused attention in social performance monitoring in individuals with psychopathy in order to identify the underlying cognitive and neural mechanisms.
Moreover, the research she performed during her PhD project provides a starting point to further investigate individual differences in developmental pathways in clinical populations. More specifically, from September 2018 onwards she will start a research project (funded by a KNAW Sara van Dam Project Grant) in collaboration with Dr. Einat Levy-Gigi of the Bar Ilan University and Prof. dr. Ellen de Bruijn (Clinical Psychology). The aim of this project is to unravel the neurocognitive developmental trajectory of social performance monitoring in typically developing adolescents in the Netherlands, and in adolescents growing up in a stressful environment in Israel. Specific attention will be paid to the role of anxiety and empathy.
Sandy Overgaauw coordinates the bachelor course Interpersonal Professional Skills (IBP-track). Additionally, Sandy is involved in the bachelor course Perspective on Career Planning (IBP students) as a workgroup teacher, and she supervises several master students during their master thesis.
- Tollenaar M.S. & Overgaauw S. (2020), Empathy and mentalizing abilities in relation to psychosocial stress in healthy adult men and women, Heliyon 6(8): e04488.
- Jansen M., Overgaauw S. & De Bruijn E.R.A. (2020), Social Cognition and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: A Review of Subdomains of Social Functioning, Frontiers in Psychiatry 11(118): 1-38.
- Van der Graaff J. Overgaauw S. de Wied M. Branje S. (2020), Empathy and perspective taking. In: Hupp S., Jewell J. (Ed.) The Encyclopedia of Child and Adolescent Development.: Wiley.
- Overgaauw S., Jansen M. & De Bruijn E.R.A. (2020), Self-centered or other-directed: Neural correlates of performance monitoring are dependent on psychopathic traits and social context., Cortex 129: 199-210.
- De Bruijn E.R.A., Jansen M. & Overgaauw S. (2020), Enhanced error-related brain activations for mistakes that harm others: ERP evidence from a novel social performance-monitoring paradigm, NeuroImage 204: 116238.
- Overgaauw S., Jansen M., Korbee N.J. & Bruijn E.R.A. de (2019), Neural Mechanisms Involved in Social Conformity and Psychopathic Traits: Prediction Errors, Reward Processing and Saliency, Frontiers in Behavioral Neuroscience 13: e160.
- Ruissen M.I., Overgaauw S. & De Bruijn E.R.A. (2018), Being right, but losing money: the role of striatum in joint decision making, Scientific Reports 8: e6711.
- Mendoza Diaz A., Overgaauw S., Hawes D. & Dadds M. (2018), Intergenerational Transmission of Callous-Unemotional Traits., Child Psychiatry and Human Development 49(3): 480-491.
- Overgaauw S., Rieffe C.J., Broekhof E., Crone E.A.M. & Güroğlu B. (2017), Assessing Empathy across Childhood and Adolescence: Validation of the Empathy Questionnaire for Children and Adolescents (EmQue-CA), Frontiers in Psychology 8(870): 1-9.
- Kleibeuker S.W., Stevenson C.E., Aar L. van der, Overgaauw S., Duijvenvoorde A.C. van & Crone E.A. (2017), Training in the adolescent brain: An fMRI training study on divergent thinking, Developmental Psychology 53(2): 353-365.
- Vrijhof C.I., Bulk B.G. van den, Overgaauw S., Lelieveld G.-J., Engels R.C.M.E. & IJzendoorn M.H. van (2016), The Prosocial Cyberball Game: Compensating for social exclusion and its associations with empathic concern and bullying in adolescents, Journal of Adolescence 52: 27-36.
- Overgaauw S., Van Duijvenvoorde A.C., Gunther Moor B. & Crone E.A. (2015), A longitudinal analysis of neural regions involved in reading the mind in the eyes, Social cognitive and affective neuroscience 10(5): 619-627.
- Overgaauw S. (19 February 2015), Social reorientation in adolescence : neurobiological changes and individual differences in empathic concern (PhD thesis, Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences, Leiden University). Supervisor(s) and Co-supervisor(s): Crone E.A., Güroğlu B.
- Overgaauw S., Güroğlu B., Rieffe C. & Crone E.A. (2014), Behavior and Neural Correlates of Empathy in Adolescents, Developmental Neuroscience 36(3-4): 210-219.
- Van Duijvenvoorde A.C.K., Op de Macks Z.A., Overgaauw S., Gunther Moor B., Dahl R.E. & Crone E.A. (2014), A cross-sectional and longitudinal analysis of reward-related brain activation: Effects of age, pubertal stage, and reward sensitivity, 89: 3-14.
- Crone E.A., Will G.J., Overgaauw S. & Güroğlu B. (2014), Social decision-making in childhood and adolescence. In: Lange P.A.M. van, Rockenbach B., Yamagishi T. (Eds.) Reward and Punishment in Social Dilemmas. New York: Oxford University Press. 161-181.
- Overgaauw S., Güroğlu B. & Crone E.A. (2012), Fairness considerations when I know more than you do: Developmental comparisons, Frontiers in Developmental Psychology 3: 1-8.
- Op de Macks Z.A., Gunther Moor B., Overgaauw S., Güroğlu B., Dahl R. & Crone E.A. (2011), Testosterone levels correspond with increased ventral striatum activation in response to monetary rewards in adolescents, Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience 1(4): 506-516.
No relevant ancillary activities