Sandra van Dijk
Research on self-management and e-health
‘How do people cope with serious threats to their health?’ This simple but intriguing question summarizes my research ever since being a student. My research projects mainly focus on self-management for patients with chronic kidney disease: Together with patients and colleagues from different disciplines we build and evaluate new and personalized care systems that support people in coping with their disease and adopting a healthy life-style. In addition to these practical approaches, I am very interested in new methods that enable a more fundamental understanding of how people cope with threat to unravel the associations between disease-related symptoms such as fatigue and depression, psychological factors and biological markers.
For many years I have been a communication trainer within the faculty of medicine with a specialization in teaching motivational interviewing, aimed at gently guiding people towards making positive changes in their lives. Nowadays, I am involved in several courses in psychology and I am coordinator of the module ‘The older Individual’ in the international and interdisciplinary LUMC master Vitality & Ageing.
Grants (primary author grants in collaboration with colleagues)
- E-GOAL study. Identifying and treating psychological barriers for adopting a healthy life among patients with chronic kidney disease. Personal grant by the Dutch Kidney Foundation (2016-2020).
- Grant of the board of directors of the LUMC to evaluate new e-health approaches as a project leader ‘self-management’ at the department of Health Care Innovation (2015-2017).
- SUBLIME study. Reducing salt-intake. Cost-effectiveness of online self-regulation embedded in regular care for chronic kidney disease patients. Grants by ZonMw and the Dutch Kidney Foundation (2012-2016).
- COACH’D study. After the Health Check in vulnerable groups: an individually tailored self-management intervention led by Community Health Workers (COACH’D). Grant by Lekker Lang Leven (2010-2014).
- ADMIRE study. Assessment a of a Disease management system with Medical devices In REnal disease. Grants by ZonMw and the Dutch Kidney Foundation (2010-2014).
- ESMO study. Effects of Self-Monitoring on Outcome of Chronic Kidney Disease. Grants by ZonMw and the Dutch Kidney Foundation (2009-2013).
- CHECK’D study. Health checks in vulnerable groups: the role of beliefs and expectations. Grant by Lekker Lang Leven (2009-2013).
- Changes & Choices follow up. Long-term effects of genetic counseling for familial breast cancer focusing on women with uninformative DNA test results: risk management strategies, perceived risk and psychological well-being. Grant by the Dutch Cancer Society (2003-2006).
- Meuleman Y., Hoekstra T., Dekker F.W., Van der Boog P.J.M. & Van Dijk S. (2018), Perceived Sodium Reduction Barriers Among Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease: Which Barriers Are Important and Which Patients Experience Barriers?, International Journal of Behavioral Medicine 25(1): 93-102.
- Meuleman Y., Chilcot J., Dekker F.W., Halbesma N. & Dijk S. van (2017), Health-related quality of life trajectories during predialysis care and associated illness perceptions, Health Psychology 36(11): 1083-1091.
- Wang W., Van Lint C.L., Brinkman W.P., Rövekamp T.J.M., Van Dijk S., Van der Boog P.J.M. & Neerincx M.A. (2017), Renal transplant patient acceptance of a self-management support system, BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making 17(1): e58.
- Van Lint C.L., Wang W., Van Dijk S., Brinkman W.P., Rövekamp T.J.M., Neerincx M.A., Rabelink A.J. & Van der Boog P.J.M. (2017), Self-monitoring kidney function post transplantation: Reliability of patient-reported data, Journal of Medical Internet Research 19(9): e316.
- Meuleman Y., Hoekstra T., Dekker F.W., Navis G.J., Vogt L., Van der Boog P.J.M., Bos W.J.W., Van Montfrans G.A. & Van Dijk S. (2017), Sodium restriction in patients with CKD: a randomized controlled trial of self-management support, American Journal of Kidney Diseases 69(5): 576-586.
- Bukman A.J., Teuscher D., Ben Meftah J., Groenenberg I., Crone M.R., Van Dijk S., Bos M.B. & Feskens E.J. (2016), Exploring strategies to reach individuals of Turkish and Moroccan origin for health checks and lifestyle advice: a mixed-methods study, BMC Family Practice 2016(17): e85.
- Van Lint C.L., Van der Boog P.J.M., Wang W., Brinkman W.-P., Rovekamp T.J.M., Neerincx M.A., Rabelink T.J. & Van Dijk S. (2015), Patient experiences with self-monitoring renal function after renal transplantation: Results from a single-center prospective pilot study, Patient Preference and Adherence 9: 1721-1731.
- Meuleman Y., De Goeij M.C.M., Halbesma N., Chilcot J., Dekker F.W. & Van Dijk S. (2015), Illness perceptions in patients on predialysis care: Associations with time until start of dialysis and decline of kidney function, Psychosomatic Medicine 77(8): 946-954.
- Van Lint C.L., Van der Boog P.J.M., Romijn F.P.H.T.M., Schenk P.W., Van Dijk S., Rovekamp T.J.M., Kessler A., Siekmann L., Rabelink T.J. & Cobbaert C.M. (2015), Application of a point of care creatinine device for trend monitoring in kidney transplant patients: Fit for purpose?, Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine 53(10): 1547-1556.
- Groenenberg I., Crone M.R., Van Dijk S., Ben Meftah J., Middelkoop B.J.C., Assendelft W.J.J. & Stiggelbout A.M. (2015), Response and participation of underserved populations after a three-step invitation strategy for a cardiometabolic health check, BMC Public Health 15: e854.
- Meuleman Y., Ten Brinke L., Kwakernaak A.J., Vogt L., Rotmans J.I., Bos W.J.W., Van der Boog P.J.M., Navis G., Van Montfrans G.A., Hoekstra T., Dekker F.W. & Van Dijk S. (2015), Perceived barriers and support strategies for reducing sodium intake in patients with chronic kidney disease: A qualitative study, International Journal of Behavioral Medicine 22(4): 530-539.
- Loosman W.L., Hoekstra T., Van Dijk S., Terwee C.B., Honig A., Siegert C.E.H. & Dekker F.W. (2015), Short-Form 12 or Short-Form 36 to measure quality-of-life changes in dialysis patients?, Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation 30(7): 1170-1176.
- Groenenberg I., Crone M.R., Van Dijk S., Gebhardt W.A., Ben Meftah J., Middelkoop B.J.C., Stiggelbout A.M. & Assendelft W.J.J. (2015), 'Check it out!' Decision-making of vulnerable, groups about participation in a two-stage cardiometabolic health check: A qualitative study, Patient education and counseling 98(2): 234-244.
- De Goeij M.C., Meuleman Y., Van Dijk S., Grootendorst D.C., Dekker F.W. & Halbesma N. (2014), Haemoglobin levels and health-related quality of life in young and elderly patients on specialized predialysis care, Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation 29(7): 1391-1398.
- Van Dijk S. & Dijkstra A. (2014), Adding power or losing strength? Searching for strategies on how self-affirmation may grow stronger: A comment on Jessop et al., Annals of Behavioral Medicine 47(2): 131-132.
- Van Dijk S., Van den Beukel T.O., Kaptein A.A., Honig A., Cessie S. le, Siegert C.E., Boeschoten E.W., Krediet R.T. & Dekker F.W. (2013), How baseline, new-onset, and persistent depressive symptoms are associated with cardiovascular and non-cardiovascular mortality in incident patients on chronic dialysis., Journal of Psychosomatic Research 74(6): 511-517.
- Dijk S. van (15 November 2006), Chances and changes : psychological impact of genetic counselling and DNA testing for breast cancer. (PhD thesis, Leiden University Medical Center (LUMC), Leiden University). Supervisor(s) and Co-supervisor(s): Kievit J., Breuning M.H., Otten W. , Timmermans D.R.M.
- Onderwijs Geneeskunde en nascholing