Roxanne Kieltyka focuses her research on the preparation of supramolecular materials for applications in biology. Her goal is to synthetically replicate cell-specific microenvironments within these hierarchical materials for tissue engineering and cell delivery.
In the news
Date of birth: 6 October 1980
2009 PhD, Faculty of Chemistry, McGill University, Canada
Thesis title: ‘Platinum-based DNA binding agents as telomerase inhibitors and cancer therapeutics’
Advisor: Prof. Dr. Hanadi Sleiman
2003 BSc in Materials Chemistry, Faculty of Chemistry, University of Toronto, Canada
Current and previous research positions
2013 – now Tenure track Assistant Professor, Leiden Institute of Chemistry, Leiden University, The Netherlands
2009 – 2012 Postdoctoral Researcher, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands (Prof. E.W. Meijer)
Grants, awards, recognitions since 2010
2014 NWO-CW ECHO-STIP grant (k€ 260)
2012 NWO-CW Veni grant (k€ 250)
Contribution to teaching and supervision
2 MSc courses for Molecular Science/Life Sciences and Technology (MST, LST) (Leiden): Supramolecular Chemistry and Biomaterials.
Supervision of 7 PhD students since 2013.
Other responsibilities since 2010
- Member of review panels for the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) and Flemish Organisation for Scientific Research (FWO).
- Reviewer for Angewandte Chemie, Advanced Healthcare Materials, Scientific Reports, Langmuir, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces and Journal of Polymer Science A.
Publication record including five recent representative publications
14 papers with >400 citations, H-index 9
- Saez Talens V., Englebienne P., Trinh T.T., Noteborn W.E.M., Voets I.K., Kieltyka R.E., Aromatic gain in a supramolecular polymer. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 54, 10502-10506.
- Bastings M.M.C., Koudstaal S., Kieltyka R.E., Nakano Y., Pape A.C.H., Feyen D.A.M., Slochteren F.J. van, Doevendans P.A., Sluijter J.P.G., Meijer E.W., Chamuleau S.A.J., Dankers P.Y.W., A fast pH-Switchable and self-healing supramolecular hydrogel carrier for guided, local catheter injection in the infarcted myocardium. Adv. Healthc. Mater. 2014, 3, 70-78.
- Kieltyka R.E., Pape A.C.H., Albertazzi L., Nakano Y., Bastings M.M.C., Voets I.K., Dankers P.Y.W., Meijer E.W, Mesocale modulation of supramolecular ureidopyrimidinone-based poly(ethylene glycol) transient networks in water. JACS. 2013, 30, 11159-11164.
- Kieltyka R., Englebienne P., Fakhoury J., Autexier C., Moitessier N., Sleiman H.F., A platinum supramolecular square as an effective G-quadruplex binder and telomerase inhibitor. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2008, 130, 10040-10041.
- Kieltyka R., Fakhoury J., Moitessier N., Sleiman H.F., Platinum phenanthroimidazole complexes as G-quadruplex DNA selective binders. Chem. Eur. J. 2008, 14, 1145-1154.
Presentations including five presentations at international conferences since 2010
- Probing hydrogen-bond aromaticity coupling in squaramide-based supramolecular polymers. 253rd ACS national meeting, Supramolecular polymers: from advanced structure to functionality, April 2017, San Diego, CA, USA.
- Balancing structure and function in low molecular weight gelator materials synthesized under catalytic control. 252nd ACS national meeting, Symposium on Advanced Functional Biopolymers & Biomaterials, August 2016, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, PA, USA.
- Hydrogen-bond aromaticity coupling in supramolecular polymers. 251st ACS national meeting, Supramolecular polymers: from advanced structure to functionality, March 2016, San Diego, CA, USA.
- Aromatic gain as a driving force for supramolecular polymerization. 2015 International chemical congress of pacific basin societies (Pacifichem), December 2015, Honolulu, HI, USA.
- Aromatic gain in a supramolecular polymer. IUPAC 11th International conference on advanced polymers via macromolecular engineering (APME), October 2015, Tokyo, Japan.