Roxanne Kieltyka focuses her research on the design, synthesis and use of supramolecular biomaterials. Her goal is to synthetically replicate cell-specific microenvironments within them to instruct cellular behaviour in development and disease.
In the news
2009 PhD, Faculty of Chemistry, McGill University, Canada
Thesis title: ‘Platinum-based DNA binding agents as telomerase inhibitors and cancer therapeutics’
Advisor: Prof. Dr. Hanadi Sleiman
2003 BSc in Materials Chemistry, Faculty of Chemistry, University of Toronto, Canada
Current and previous research positions
2013 – now Tenure track Assistant Professor, Leiden Institute of Chemistry, Leiden University, The Netherlands
2009 – 2012 Postdoctoral Researcher, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands (Prof. E.W. Meijer)
Grants, awards, recognitions since 2010
2014 NWO-CW ECHO-STIP grant (k€ 260)
2012 NWO-CW Veni grant (k€ 250)
Contribution to teaching and supervision
Two courses developed for MSc Chemistry and MSc Life Science and Technology: Biomaterials and Supramolecular Chemistry.
Participated in educational outreach activities: University Pre-Class and Junior Science Lab.
Supervision of 5 PhD students since 2013. Current employment of recent PhD students; Willem Noteborn, Postdoctoral researcher at Leiden University Medical Center; Victorio Saez Talens, Investigator at ITENE, ES.
Other responsibilities since 2010
- Symposium organizer 255th ACS National Meeting-POLY Division “International Symposium on Biorelated Polymers: Innovation in Biomedical Polymers”, New Orleans, LA, USA (2018)
- Symposium organizer 253rd ACS National Meeting-POLY Division “Structure to function in Supramolecular Polymer Materials” San Francisco, CA, USA (2017)
- Committee member VVViO, Vereniging voor Vernieuwingsimpuls Onderzoekers (organization for personal grant holders) (2017-present)
- Committee member LST Education, Leiden Institute of Chemistry (2017-present)
- Guest editor of Macromolecular Rapid Communications (special issue on Supramolecular polymers) (2017)
- Scientific Panel Member FWO-Vlaanderen - SBW&T40: Organic chemistry for the evaluation of the new applications for Doctoral (PhD) grant strategic basic research (SB) (2016-Present)
- Proposal reviewer NWO, VENI-CW (2016)
- Meeting organizer NextGenChem@NL, Leiden University (2015)
- Reviewer for Angewandte Chemie, Advanced Functional Materials, ACS Biomacromolecules, Advanced Healthcare Materials, Small, Scientific Reports, Langmuir, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, among others (2012-Present)
Publication record including five recent representative publications
21 papers with >670 citations, H-index 10
- Noteborn W.E.M., Zwagerman D.N.H., Saez Talens V., Maity C., van der Mee L, Poolman J.M., Mytnyk S., van Esch J.H., Kros A., Eelkema R., Kieltyka R.E., Crosslinker-induced effects on the gelation pathway of a low molecular weight hydrogel. Adv. Mater. 2017, 29, 1603769.
- Noteborn W.E.M., Saez Talens V., Kieltyka R.E., Reversible loading of nanoscale components on a supramolecular polymer fiber by DNA-strand displacement. ChemBioChem 2017, 18, 1995.
- Lopez Mora N.F., Gao Y., Gertrude Gutierrez M., Peruzzi J., Bakker I., Peters R., Siewert B., Bonnet S., Kieltyka R.E.*, van Hest J.C.M., Malmstadt N., Kros A., Evaluation of dextran(ethylene glycol) hydrogel films for giant unilamellar lipid vesicle production and their encapsulation of polymersomes. Soft Matter 2017, 13, 5580.
- Saez Talens V., Englebienne P., Trinh T.T., Noteborn W.E.M., Voets I.K., Kieltyka R.E., Aromatic gain in a supramolecular polymer. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 54, 10502-10506.
- Kieltyka R.E., Pape A.C.H., Albertazzi L., Nakano Y., Bastings M.M.C., Voets I.K., Dankers P.Y.W., Meijer E.W, Mesocale modulation of supramolecular ureidopyrimidinone-based poly(ethylene glycol) transient networks in water. JACS. 2013, 30, 11159-11164.
Presentations including five presentations at international conferences since 2010
- Probing hydrogen-bond aromaticity coupling in squaramide-based supramolecular polymers. 253rd ACS national meeting, Supramolecular polymers: from advanced structure to functionality, April 2017, San Diego, CA, USA.
- Balancing structure and function in low molecular weight gelator materials synthesized under catalytic control. 252nd ACS national meeting, Symposium on Advanced Functional Biopolymers & Biomaterials, August 2016, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, PA, USA.
- Hydrogen-bond aromaticity coupling in supramolecular polymers. 251st ACS national meeting, Supramolecular polymers: from advanced structure to functionality, March 2016, San Diego, CA, USA.
- Aromatic gain as a driving force for supramolecular polymerization. 2015 International chemical congress of pacific basin societies (Pacifichem), December 2015, Honolulu, HI, USA.
- Aromatic gain in a supramolecular polymer. IUPAC 11th International conference on advanced polymers via macromolecular engineering (APME), October 2015, Tokyo, Japan.