Professor emeritus of Pharmacognosy, in particular plant cell biotechnology
Robert Verpoorte is Professor emeritus of Pharmacognosy, in particular plant cell biotechnology and specialised in natural deep eutectic solvents, applications and biological roles.
Over the years the natural products laboratory has studied various aspects of natural products. This included the isolation and identification biological active compounds, their biosynthesis and metabolic engineering of relevant biosynthetic pathways. In recent years the development of metabolomics and the natural deep eutectic solvents have been the major interests. The work resulted in more than 800 publications, 6 patents and 3 books. The research is widely cited and places him is among the 1% most cited authors in Clarivate, Web of Science (Cross-Field)(2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021). A citation analysis made by Stanford University placed the impact of his work on position 45 (out of 134,814 authors) in the field of chemistry (2020, 2021).
- Pharmacists degree (1972) and a PhD (1976) from Leiden.
- Lecturer at Leiden University 1976-1987, 1987-2011 professor and head of the department of Plant cell Biotechnology Pharmacognosy.
- Guest professor in London (UK), Uppsala (Sweden), Amiens (France), Reims (France), Seoul (Korea), Florence (Italy), Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Hilo (USA).
- From 1992-1998 he was Vice-Chairman and Chairman of the committee of the Phytochemical Society of Europe (PSE).
- Since May 2011 he is professor Emeritus at Leiden University.
Grants & prizes
- 2004 Honorary Doctorate University of Amiens, France
- 2007 Phytochemistry Society of Europe Medal
- 2012 Honorary Doctorate University of Uppsala, Sweden
- 2015 Honorary professor Hong Kong Baptist University 2015
- 2015 Gusi Peace Prize in Manila, The Philippines
- 2017 Egon Stahl Medal in Gold by the International Society of Medicinal Plants and Natural Products Research
- 2017 Qihuang International Prize China Association of Chinese Medicine
- Among the 1% Highly Cited Researchers 2018, 2019 and 2020 (Cross-Field)(Web of Science, Clarivate Analytics)
- Among the 2% top scientists in the world in a recent Stanford study (2020, 2021), and based on this citation analysis his impact ranks on position 45 worldwide in the field of Chemistry (out of 134,814)
- Editor in Chief of Phytochemistry Reviews (IF2019 4.587) since 2001
- Executive Editor Biotechnology Letters (IF2019 1.982) since 2006
- Editor in Chief Journal od Ethnopharmacology (IF2020 4.275) 2003-2016
- Voorzitter Raad van Toezicht
- Executive Editor