Dr. Petra Barneveld is working as assistant professor at the department Education and Child Studies at Leiden University. Her scientific and clinical work is focused on dysfunctional brain-behaviour interactions that may lead to developmental psychopathology and result in social dysfunctioning and cognitive and emotional problems.
Petra Barneveld obtained her master’s degree cum laude in Clinical Neuropsychology at Leiden University in 2008 for which she wrote the master’s thesis ‘Executive functioning in 6-to-10-year-old children with Intrauterine Growth Restriction (IUGR) and influence of COMT-gen polymorphism’. For this thesis she received the NVN Thesis Award 2007/2008 from the Netherlands Society for Neuropsychology. In 2009 she started her PhD project at the institute of Education and Child Studies at Leiden University, supervised by prof. dr. Hanna Swaab, prof. dr. Herman van Engeland, and dr. Leo de Sonneville. In 2013 she defended her dissertation ‘growing up with autism spectrum disorders: outcome in adolescence and adulthood’ and obtained her Phd. In 2014 she became a Healthcare Psychologist (GZ-Psycholoog) at the University Practice (Ambulatorium), which is part of the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences.
- Van Rijn S., Barneveld P., Descheemaeker M.-J., Giltay J. & Swaab H. (2018), The effect of early life stress on the cognitive phenotype of children with an extra X chromosome (47,XXY/47,XXX), Child Neuropsychology 24(2): 277-286.
- Barneveld P.S., Swaab H., Van Engeland H. & De Sonneville L. (2014), Cross-sectional evidence for a decrease in cognitive function with age in children with autism spectrum disorders?, Autism Research 7(5): 527-534.
- Barneveld P.S., Swaab H., Fagel S., Van Engeland H. & De Sonneville L.M. (2014), Quality of life: A case-controlled long-term follow-up study, comparing young high-functioning adults with autism spectrum disorders with adults with other psychiatric disorders diagnosed in childhood, Comprehensive Psychiatry 55(2): 302-310.
- Barneveld P.S. (5 November 2013), Growing up with autism spectrum disorders: outcome in adolescence and adulthood (PhD thesis, Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences, Leiden University). Supervisor(s) and Co-supervisor(s): Swaab, H.; Engeland, H. van, Sonneville, L.M.J. de.
- Barneveld P.S., De Sonneville L., Van Rijn S., Van Engeland H. & Swaab H. (2013), Impaired Response Inhibition in Autism Spectrum Disorders, a Marker of Vulnerability to Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorders?, Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society 19(6): 646-655.
- Barneveld P.S., Pieterse J.K., De Sonneville L.M.J., Van Rijn S., Lahuis B., Van Engeland H. & Swaab H. (2011), Overlap of autistic and schizotypal traits in adolescents with autism spectrum disorders, Schizophrenia Research 126(1-3): 231-236.
- Docent neuropsychodiagnostiek en psychopathologie
- Docent neuropsychodiagnostiek