Laurens van Apeldoorn
Extension number: 8735
Laurens van Apeldoorn is Assistant Professor of Philosophy and a member of the Centre for Political Philosophy at Leiden University. His research is broadly focussed on the nature and prospects of the sovereign state. His recent historical research is on the political philosophy of Thomas Hobbes. His recent contemporary research concerns international taxation in relation to global justice.
Prior to his arrival at Leiden he was a post-doctoral research fellow at the University of Amsterdam. He has also held visiting appointments at the University of Toronto, the University of Montreal, King’s College London, and the University of Leuven. He received a doctorate from Oxford University.
- Political philosophy
- History of political thought
- International taxation
- Political legitimacy
- Faculty Governance and Global Affairs
- Leiden University College
- Christians A. & Van Apeldoorn L.C.J. (2018), The OECD Inclusive Framework, Bulletin for International Taxation 72(4/5).
- Van Apeldoorn L.C.J. van (2017), “The Nutrition of a Commonwealth:” On Hobbes’s Economic Thought. In: Bek-Thomsen J., Christiansen C.O., Gaarsmand Jacobsen S., Thorup M. (Eds.) History of Economic Rationalities.: Springer. 21-30.
- Apeldoorn L.C.J. van (2016), BEPS, Tax Sovereignty and Global Justice, Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy .
- Apeldoorn L.C.J. van, Maas H. & Olsthoorn J. (2016), Erasmus Journal for Philosophy and Economics Member of editorial staff 9(1).
- Apeldoorn L.C.J. van (2016), International Taxation and the Erosion of Sovereignty. In: Dietsch P., Rixen T. (Eds.) Global Tax Governance. Colchester: ECPR Press. 215-230.
- Apeldoorn L.C.J. van, Maas H. & Olsthoorn J. (2016), Science, Politics, and the Economy: the Unintended Consequences of a Diabolic Paradox, Erasmus Journal for Philosophy and Economics 9(1): iii-viii.
- Apeldoorn L.C.J. van (2015), Hobbes and the Scientific Study of the Human Mind, Archiv fuer Geschichte der Philosophie 97(3): 308–333.
- Apeldoorn L.C.J. van (2014), Rationality and Freedom in Hobbes’s Theory of Action, History of European Ideas 40(5).
- Apeldoorn L.C.J. van (2013), Just War Theory. In: Hwang J., Cerna L. (Eds.) Global Challenges: Peace and War. Leiden: Brill. 53-64.
- Apeldoorn L.C.J. van (2012), Reconsidering Hobbes’s Account of Practical Deliberation, Hobbes Studies 25(2).