Juan Masullo Jimenez
- Dr. J. Masullo Jimenez
- +31 70 800 3879
- ORCID iD
Juan Masullo is an Assistant Professor at the Institute of Political Science at Leiden University.
Juan Masullo (Ph.D., European University Institute) is Assistant Professor in the Institute of Political Science at Leiden University. He is also Research Associate at the Changing Character of War Centre at the University of Oxford.
His research sits on the intersection of comparative politics and international relations and explores complex social dynamics in settings of political and criminal violence. In particular, he is interested in civilian agency and collective action in the face of violence (from the establishment of peace communities to the formation of vigilante groups); and in peoples’ attitudes and preferences towards different policy approaches to deal with crime and violence (from peace negotiations to militarized crackdowns). He is also interested in field research methods and research design for qualitative and mixed-methods research.
His research combines multiple types of evidence and research methods and relies extensively on immersive fieldwork in violence-affected areas. His current book project explores the processes leading peasant communities living in warzones to organize nonviolent collective action to refuse to cooperate with armed groups in the Colombian civil war. In addition to his work in Colombia, his current research projects focus on Mexico and Brazil.
His work has been published in Comparative Political Studies, International Studies Review, Terrorism and Political Violence, Journal of Peacebuilding & Development, Mobilization and Global Policy Journal, and in several edited volumes.
Before joining Leiden University, he was Lecturer at the University of Oxford; Postdoctoral Fellow at the Bremen International Graduate School of Social Science (BIGSSS); and Research Fellow at the Program on Order, Conflict and Violence (OCV), Yale University.
For an updated CV and more information, please visit Juan’s personal website.
Juan Masullo is available to supervise PhD students and invites PhD candidates to send research proposals in the areas of:
- Political violence (in particular, civil war); criminal violence
- Contentious politics and social movements
- Latin American politics
See more information on PhD positions:
- Faculteit der Sociale Wetenschappen
- Instituut Politieke Wetenschap
2511 DP The Hague
Room number 6.06
- Jentzsch C. & Masullo Jimenez J. (2022), Violent or non-violent action? Wartime civilian resistance in Colombia and Mozambique, Political Geography 99: 102761.
- Rodriguez A.I. & Rosen H.: Masullo Jimenez J. (2021), Mobilizing to Counter Post-agreement Security Challenges: The Case of the “Humanitarian Accord Now” in Chocó. In: Confronting Peace: Local Peacebuilding in the Wake of a National Peace Agreement (Ed.): Springer. 81 - 109.
- Masullo J. (2021), Civilian Contention in Civil War: How Ideational Factors Shape Community Responses to Armed Groups, COMP POLIT STUD 54(10): 1849-1884.
- Zulver J., Idler A. & Masullo Jimenez J. (2021), Community Responses to a Changing Security Landscape at the Colombia–Venezuela Border: The Case of La Guajira, Journal of Human Rights Practice 13(1): 173-184.
- Masullo J. (2021), Refusing to Cooperate with Armed Groups Civilian Agency and Civilian Noncooperation in Armed Conflicts, International Studies Review 23(3): 887-913.
- Kreiman G. & Masullo J. (2020), Who Shot the Bullets? Exposure to Violence and Attitudes Toward Peace: Evidence from the 2016 Colombian Referendum, Latin American Politics and Society 62: 24-49.
No relevant ancillary activities