Senior assistant professor
Evin Aktar is assistant professor at the Clinical Psychology in Leiden University.
She received her BA in psychology at Bogazici University in Istanbul, Turkey in 2008, and her MSc cum laude in research master psychology at the University of Amsterdam in 2010 with major specialization in clinical psychology and a minor specialization in psychonomics. She received her PhD at the Developmental Psychopathology section at the Research Institute Child Development and Education at the University of Amsterdam in 2016. Her PhD studies focused on how being exposed to negative emotions from parents in everyday interactions in infancy can contribute to parent-to-child transmission of depression and anxiety. Following her PhD, she continued her work as post-doc researcher at the Developmental Psychopathology section, where she extended her research on learning of negative emotions from parents in infancy and childhood. Evin is currently adopting a multi-method approach incorporating the study of emotional expressions, attention and physiology in parents and children for a better understanding of the mechanisms explaining the intergenerational transmission of (social) anxiety.
In June 2018 Evin received a VENI grant, which enables her to continue her line of work on verbal transmission of stranger anxiety from parents to children at Leiden University, from January 2019 onwards.
- Aktar E., Nimphy C.A., Kret M.E., Perez-Edgar K., Raijmakers M.E.J. & Bogels S.M. (2022), Attention biases to threat in infants and parents: links to parental and infant anxiety dispositions, Research on Child and Adolescent Psychopathology 50(3): 387-402.
- Aktar E (2022), Intergenerational Transmission of Anxious Information Processing Biases: An Updated Conceptual Model, Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review : 1-22.
- Aktar E., Nimphy C.A., Kret M.E., Perez-Edgar K., Bogels S.M. & Raijmakers M.E.J. (2021), Pupil responses to dynamic negative facial expressions of emotion in infants and parents, Developmental Psychobiology 63(7): e22190.
- Bockstaele B. van, Aktar E., Majdandzic M., Perez-Edgar K. & Bogels S.M. (2021), The relation between early behavioural inhibition and later social anxiety, independent of attentional biases to threat, COGNITION & EMOTION 35(7): 1431-1439.
- Salvadori E.A., Colonnesi C., Vonk H.S., Oort F.J. & Aktar E. (2021), Infant emotional mimicry of strangers: associations with parent emotional mimicry, parent-infant mutual attention, and parent dispositional affective empathy, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 18(2): 1-19 (654).
- Aktar E. & Peréz Edgar K. (2020), Infant Emotion Development and Temperament. In: Lockman J.J., Tamis-LeMonda C.S. (Ed.) The Cambridge Handbook of Infant Development: Brain, Behavior, and Cultural Context..: Cambridge University Press. 715-741.
- Aktar E., Raijmakers M.E.J. & Kret M.E. (2020), Pupil mimicry in infants and parents, Cognition and Emotion 34(6): 1160-1170.
- Kindermans G. (1 September 2019), Angst in de familie. Interviewed by Geertje Kindermans for De psycholoog(VENI VIDI VICI) [interview].
- Aktar E., Qu J., Lawrence P.J., Tollenaar M.S., Elzinga B.M. & Bögels S.M. (2019), Fetal and Infant Outcomes in the Offspring of Parents With Perinatal Mental Disorders: Earliest Influences, Frontiers in Psychiatry 10: e391.
- Zeegers M.A., Potharst E.S., Veringa-Skiba I.K., Aktar E., Goris M., Bögels S.M. & Colonnesi C. (2019), Evaluating Mindful with your baby/toddler: observational changes in maternal sensitivity, acceptance, mind-mindedness, and dyadic synchrony, Frontiers in Psychology (10): 1-14 (753).
- Aktar E., Van Bockstaele B., Pérez‐Edgar K., Wiers R.W. & Bögels S.M. (2019), Intergenerational transmission of attentional bias and anxiety, Developmental science 22(3): e12772.
- Emerson L.M., Aktar E., De Bruijn E., Potharst E. & Bögels S. (2019), Mindful Parenting in Secondary Child Mental Health: Key Parenting Predictors of Treatment Effects, Mindfulness : 1-11.
- Aktar E., Mandell D.J., De Vente W., Majdandžić M., Oort F.J., Van Renswoude D.R., Raijmakers M.E.J. & Bögels S.M. (2018), Parental negative emotions are related to behavioral and pupillary correlates of infants’ attention to facial expressions of emotion, Infant Behavior and Development 53: 101-111.
- Cong Y.Q., Junge C., Aktar E., Raijmakers M.E.J., Franklin A. & Sauter D. (2019), Pre-verbal infants perceive emotional facial expressions categorically, Cognition and Emotion 33(3): 391-403.
- Aktar E., Majdandžić M., De Vente W. & Bögels S.M. (2018), Parental Expressions of Anxiety and Child Temperament in Toddlerhood Jointly Predict Preschoolers’ Avoidance of Novelty, Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology 47(sup 1): S421-S434.
- Nikolić M., Aktar E., Bögels S., Colonnesi C. & De Vente W. (2018), Bumping heart and sweaty palms: Physiological hyperarousal as a risk factor for child social anxiety, Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 59(2): 119-128.
- Aktar E. & Bögels S.M. (2017), Exposure to Parents’ Negative Emotions as a Developmental Pathway to the Family Aggregation of Depression and Anxiety in the First Year of Life, Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review 20(4): 369-390.
- Potharst E.S., Aktar E., Rexwinkel M., Rigterink M. & Bögels S.M. (2017), Mindful with Your Baby: Feasibility, Acceptability, and Effects of a Mindful Parenting Group Training for Mothers and Their Babies in a Mental Health Context, Mindfulness 8(5): 1236-1250.
- Aktar E. (2017), Antenne baby slaat aan op stress, Vakblad Vroeg 4: 23-25.
- Aktar E., Nikolić M. & Bögels S.M. (2017), Environmental transmission of generalized anxiety disorder from parents to children: worries, experiential avoidance, and intolerance of uncertainty, Dialogues in Clinical Neuroscience 19(2): 137-147.
- Aktar E., Colonnesi C., De Vente W., Majdandžić M. & Bögels S.M. (2017), How do parents' depression and anxiety, and infants' negative temperament relate to parent–infant face-to-face interactions?, Development and Psychopathology 29(3): 697-710.
- Aktar E., Mandell D.J., De Vente W., Majdandžić M., Raijmakers M.E.J. & Bögels S.M. (2016), Infants’ temperament and mothers’, and fathers’ depression predict infants’ attention to objects paired with emotional faces, Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology 44(5): 975-990.
- Aktar E., Majdandžić M., De Vente W. & Bögels S.M. (2014), Parental social anxiety disorder prospectively predicts toddlers' fear/avoidance in a social referencing paradigm, Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 55(1): 77-87.
- Aktar E., Majdandžić M., Vente W. de & Bögels S.M. (2013), The interplay between expressed parental anxiety and infant behavioural inhibition predicts infant avoidance in a social referencing paradigm, Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 54(2): 144-156.
- Majdandžić M., Vente W. de, Feinberg M.E., Aktar E. & Bögels S.M. (2012), Bidirectional Associations Between Coparenting Relations and Family Member Anxiety: A Review and Conceptual Model, Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review 15(1): 28-42.
No relevant ancillary activities