Evert Jan van Leeuwen
- Dr. E.J. van Leeuwen
- +31 71 527 3949
- ORCID iD
Evert Jan van Leeuwen is a University Lecturer at the Leiden University Centre for the Arts in Society.
Fields of interest
- Fantastic fictions from the eighteenth century to the present: gothic, horror, supernatural and science fiction
- Countercultures and critical theories from the Romantic Era to the present
Favourite authors: Ann Radcliffe, William Godwin, Charles Brockden Brown, Edgar Allan Poe, Edward Bulwer Lytton, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Charlotte Riddell, William Hope Hodgson, Algernon Blackwood; H.P. Lovecraft; Shirley Jackson, Flannery O’Connor, Joyce Carol Oates, and Stephen King.
Favourite filmmakers: Val Guest, Robert Wise, Roger Corman, George Romero, John Carpenter, and Alex Cox.
- The history, development and intertextual relations of gothic, horror, supernatural and science fiction from the British Isles, the Low Countries and North America.
- 2000-2001 MPhil in the Gothic Imagination (University of Stirling, Scotland)
- 2000-2006 PhD candidate (Leiden University, the Netherlands)
- 2007- Lecturer (Leiden University, the Netherlands)
- BA courses in English-language literature and culture from the eighteenth century to the present
- MA courses on various topics within my field of interest for the Literature in Society and English tracks of the MA Literary Studies.
- Faculty of Humanities
- Centre for the Arts in Society
- Moderne Engelstalige letterkunde
2311 CT Leiden
Room number B1.22
No relevant ancillary activities