University Lecturer Greek Papyrology
Cisca Hoogendijk is a University Lecturer at the Leiden University Institute for Area Studies.
Fields of interest
Greek Papyrology; social, cultural and economic history of Greek, Roman and Byzantine Egypt; edition of unpublished Greek papyri.
I am a Papyrologist who studies Greek papyri from Egypt from the Ptolemaic, Roman and Byzantine periods. These papyri give us detailed information on daily life in antiquity in all its different aspects. I decipher and have deciphered and edited unpublished papyri from the collection of our own Papyrological Institute as well as from other collections. In collaboration with colleagues from the Institut für Papyrologie in Heidelberg I coordinate the project Berichtigungsliste der Griechischen Papyruskunden aus Ägypten, for which we find, check and list corrections to already published papyrus texts. With my NWO Internationalisation in the Humanities Grant the Leiden papyrologists cooperate with colleagues from the Universities of Michigan and Salento in the project ‘Text in Context: Recontextualising the papyri from Roman Soknopaiou Nesos / Dime (Fayyum, Egypt)’.
I am willing to advice or supervise MA and PhD students on projects for which Greek papyri from the Ptolemaic, Roman or Byzantine period in Egypt are used as principal source material.
2008: PhD in Greek Papyrology, Leiden University
1980: MA in Classical Languages and Culture, Leiden University
since 2004: Lecturer of Papyrology, Papyrological Institute, Leiden University
1980-1997: Lecturer of Papyrology, Papyrological Institute, Leiden University
1978-1980: Teacher of Classical Languages at high school
Secretary of the board of the Stichting ‘Het Leids Papyrologisch Instituut’
Co-editor of the series Papyrologica Lugduno-Batava (Brill)
Member of the international editorial board of the Duke Database of Documentary Papyri (DDBDP)
- 2018: F.A.J. Hoogendijk & S.M.T. van Gompel (Eds), The Materiality of Texts from Ancient Egypt: New Approaches to the Study of Textual Material from the Early Pharaonic to the Late Antique Period (Papyrologica Lugduno-Batava 35, Leiden, 2018).
- 2018: K. Donker van Heel, F.A.J. Hoogendijk & C.J. Martin (Eds), Hieratic, Demotic and Greek Studies and Text Editions. Of Making Many Books There Is No End: Festschrift in Honour of Sven P. Vleeming (Papyrologica Lugduno-Batava 34, Leiden-Boston, 2018).
- 2017: Berichtigungsliste der griechischen Papyrusurkunden aus Ägypten, Dreizehnter Band. Herausgegeben von F.A.J Hoogendijk und A. Jördens. Zusammengestellt von J.M.S. Cowey und F.A.J. Hoogendijk (Leiden, 2017).
- 2017: F.A.J. Hoogendijk,‘Beginning of a Letter of the Acting Prefect Mussius Aemilianus’, BASP 54 (2017) 113-125.
- 2016: F.A.J. Hoogendijk, ‘Page of an Oracle Book: Papyrus Kellis 96.150’ in: Proceedings of the 27th International Congress of Papyrology, Warsaw, 29 July - 3 August 2013 (2016) 595-622.
- Introduction to Greek Papyrology (Greek texts)
- Subjects from Greek Papyrology (based on translations of papyri)
- Palaeography of the Greek Papyri (beginners)
- Palaeography of the Greek Papyri (advanced): workshop papyrus reading and editing
- (Res)MA Seminar Greek Papyrology
- Occasional guest-lectures at high schools (through ICLON)
- Introduction to Papyrology for visiting students and school classes, combined with temporary exhibitions of papyri from the collection of the Leiden Papyrological Institute
No relevant ancillary activities