Arjen de Vetten
Educational advisor & Researcher
Arjen de Vetten is an educational advisor and researcher at Leiden University Graduate School of Teaching (ICLON). Arjen has a broad experience in general didactics. Furthermore, Arjen is specialized in employability, methodology of education research (among others, learning analytics), and in statistics education, for primary, secondary and university education.
Arjen received a BA degree in International Economics and Finance from Tilburg University and a MSc degree (cum laude) in Economics from the University of Amsterdam. He has held positions as lecturer and assistant professor in methodology and statistics at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam and Leiden University, and as mathematics teacher educator at Hogeschool iPabo Amsterdam. In 2018 he successfully defended his dissertation at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam on statistics education for primary education teacher colleges.
- Educational advisor
- Teacher trainer
Arjen’s first line of research focuses on statistics education. In particular, he focuses on the question how students of all ages can learn to use samples to draw conclusions about populations.
Arjen’s second line of research focuses on the methodology of education research. Examples are methodology of learning analytics research (e.g., the role of qualitative research in learning analytics research), and the methodologies of design research and formative interventions ('change laboratories').
- De Vetten A.J., Schoonenboom J., Keijzer R. & Van Oers B. (2019), Pre-service Teachers and Informal Statistical Inference: Exploring Their Reasoning During a Growing Samples Activity. In: Burrill G., Ben-Zvi D. (Eds.) Topics and Trends in Current Statistics Education Research: International Perspectives.. New York: Springer. 199-224.
- De Vetten & A. (2018), Development of pre-service primary school teachers' knowledge of ISI during a teacher college intervention.. Kyoto, Japan: 10th International Conference on Teaching Statistics.
- De Vetten A.J., Schoonenboom J., Keijzer R. & Van Oers B. (2019), Pre-service primary school teachers’ knowledge of informal statistical inference, Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education 22(6): 639-661.
- De Vetten A.J., Schoonenboom J., Keijzer R. & Van Oers B. (2018), The development of informal statistical inference content knowledge of pre-service primary school teachers during a teacher college intervention, Educational Studies in Mathematics 99(2): 217-234.
- De Vetten & A. (2017), Informal statistical inference and pre-service primary school teachers: the development of their content knowledge and pedagogical content knowledge during a teacher college intervention. Lecture. Dublin, Ireland, (CERME conference). [other].
- Smelt A. & De Vetten A.J. (2015), Gemiddelde, mediaan en spreidingsmaten, Huisarts & Wetenschap 58(10): 521-521.
- De Vetten A.J. & Koning P. (2008), Gemeenten zonder bemiddeling, Economisch Statistische Berichten 93(4531): 180-182.
- De Vetten A.J. & Koning P. (2008), Onbemiddelde gemeenten, Sociaal Bestek 70(12): 2-6.
- De Vetten A.J. (2007), Incentives and Regional Coordination in Employment Services. no. 190. Den Haag.
No relevant ancillary activities