Alexandre Afonso's research focusses on the comparative political economy of European countries, and the relationship between welfare states, labour market institutions and immigration.
Alexandre Afonso is an assistant professor of public policy at Leiden University, Netherlands. His work focuses on the comparative political economy of labour markets and welfare states in Europe and has been published in academic journals such as the Journal of European Public Policy, Socio-Economic Review, European Journal of Political Research, and Governance, among others.
Before joining Leiden University, he was a lecturer (Assistant professor) in the Department of Political Economy at King’s College London and held several positions at the Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies, the European University Institute in Florence and the University of Amsterdam. Alexandre earned his PhD in Politics at the University of Lausanne (Switzerland) in June 2010.
Afonso's research has been reported in Science, the Times Higher Education, the New York Times, The Nation, Slate, El Paìs, and Mediapart. Alexandre has written for the Washington Post, Foreign Policy, the Daily Telegraph, CNN and Jacobin, among others.
- Zwan N.A.J. van der & Afonso A. (2019), Activating the Research Methods Curriculum: A Blended Flipped Classroom, PS: Political Science and Politics .
- Afonso A. (2019), Migrant Workers or Working Women? Comparing Labour Supply Policies in Post-War Europe, Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis 21(3): 251-269.
- Flickenschild M. & Afonso A. (2018), Networks of economic policy expertise in Germany and the United States in the wake of the Great Recession, Journal of European Public Policy .
- Zwan Natascha van der & Afonso Alexandre (19 March 2018), Flipping the Research Methods Classroom, Part 5: Do students like our flipped classroom?. Active Learning in Political Science [blog entry].
- Zwan Natascha van der & Afonso Alexandre (12 March 2018), Flipping the Research Methods Classroom, Part 4: Online, open, and collaborative?. Active Learning in Political Science [blog entry].
- Zwan N.A.J. van der & Afonso A. (19 February 2018), Flipping the Research Methods Classroom, Part 1. Active Learning in Political Science [blog entry].
- Roeth L., Afonso A. & Spies D. (2017), The impact of Populist Radical Right Parties on socio-economic policies, European Political Science Review .
- Afonso A. (2 May 2017), France votes on Sunday. Can an “enemy of the Republic” pull off a victory?. Washington Post, Monkey Cage Blog.
- Afonso A. & Devitt C. (2016), Comparative Political Economy and International Migration, Socio-Economic Review 14(3): 591-613.
- Afonso A. (2016), Freer Labour Markets, More Rules? How Transnational Labour Mobility Can Strengthen Collective Bargaining, Comparative Social Research 32: 159-182.
- Afonso A. (2016), Varieties of Academic Labour Markets in Europe, PS: Political Science and Politics 49(4): 816-821.
- Afonso A & Papadopoulos Y (2015), How the Populist Radical Right Transformed Swiss Welfare Politics: From Compromises to Polarization, Swiss Political Science Review 21(4): 617-635.
- Afonso Alexandre (2015), Permanently Provisional: History, Facts & Figures of Portuguese Immigration in Switzerland, International migration 53(4): 120-134.
- Afonso Alexandre (2015), Choosing whom to betray: populist right-wing parties, welfare state reforms and the trade-off between office and votes, European Political Science Review 7(2): 271-292.
- Afonso Alexandre, Zartaloudis Sotirios & Papadopoulos Yannis (2015), How party linkages shape austerity politics: clientelism and fiscal adjustment in Greece and Portugal during the eurozone crisis, JOURNAL OF EUROPEAN PUBLIC POLICY 22(3): 315-334.
- Afonso Alexandre (2014), How to please voters without alienating friends? Parties, organised interests and advocacy coalitions in Swiss immigration policy, COMPARATIVE EUROPEAN POLITICS 12(6): 568-583.
- Afonso A & Papadopoulos I (2013), Europeanization or Party Politics? Explaining Government Choice for Corporatist Concertation, GOVERNANCE-AN INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF POLICY ADMINISTRATION AND INSTITUTIONS 26(1): 5-29.
- Afonso Alexandre (2012), Employer strategies, cross-class coalitions and the free movement of labour in the enlarged European Union, Socio-Economic Review 10(4): 705-730.
- Afonso Alexandre (2010), Policy concertation, Europeanization and new political cleavages: The case of Switzerland, EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS 16(1): 57-72.
- Fontana Marie-Christine, Afonso Alexandre & Papadopoulos Yannis (2008), Putting the Special Case in Its Place: Switzerland and Small-N Comparison in Policy Research, Swiss Political Science Review 14(3): 521-550.
- Afonso Alexandre (2007), Policy change and the politics of expertise: Economic ideas and immigration control reforms in Switzerland, Swiss Political Science Review 13(1): 1-38.
- Afonso A (2005), When the export of social problems is no longer possible: Immigration policies and unemployment in Switzerland, Social Policy and Administration 39(6): 653-668.
No relevant ancillary activities