LUC Financial Support Programme
Leiden University College (LUC) offers financial support to a limited number of excellent students who may otherwise not be able to attend. Both enrolled students and future students of LUC can request financial support.
- Scholarship application period: 20 Oct 2023 till 15 March 2024 / Application for admission deadline (recommended): 1 Dec 2023
- Target group
- Countries/ nationalities
- All nationalities
- Scholarship type
- Governance and Global Affairs
For excellent applicants and current students of Leiden University College (LUC) who may otherwise not be able to attend without financial support.
- Prospective students:
- When applying for the scholarship, you must have already submitted an application for admission to LUC.
- During the scholarship selection period (March to May), you must have already been (conditionally) admitted to LUC.
- Current LUC students:
- When applying for the scholarship, you must be making good academic progress without significant or non-substantiated credit shortages.
- You have not previously obtained a Bachelor or Master degree.
- You are able to provide documentary evidence that you are unable to study at LUC without financial support. See information on Criteria, required documents and conditions.
Note: due to the limited availability of funds, financial support cannot be awarded to all candidates who meet the above-mentioned eligibility criteria.
- Recipients are obliged to inform LUC of any changes to their financial situation and academic progress as soon as they occur. Changes of this nature may have an impact on the continuation and amount of financial support.
- During their studies, recipients will act as ambassadors for LUC whenever appropriate.
- Recipients will be awarded an amount between 1000 Euro and 4000 Euro per year - exact amount to be determined by LUC on the basis of the applicant’s situation and the amount of funds available.
- Funds are awarded for a period of one academic year. At the end of that year, students will be invited to request a renewal of their financial support for the following academic year.
- Renewal of financial support is at the discretion of LUC and is not guaranteed. When requesting a renewal, students must demonstrate that their financial situation still merits the awarding of financial support.
- Financial support can be awarded for a maximum of 3 academic years (6 semesters).
You can apply for LUC Financial Support in the period 20 October till 15 March. This applies to prospective students, current students not yet receiving financial support, and current students already receiving financial support (renewal requests).
Before applying, carefully read the information on Criteria, required documents and conditions then take all the steps below:
Not yet an LUC student? Apply for admission
- By 1 December (preferably) apply for admission to LUC via Leiden University’s online application portal (uSis).
- After applying for admission, follow the steps below to apply for LUC financial support.
Apply for LUC Financial Support
Not yet receiving financial support (prospective and current students):
- Before 15 March, log into uSis, click on the ‘Scholarship’ tile and indicate that you want to apply for LUC financial support.
- Upload the following items as described in the information on Criteria, required documents and conditions then click on submit:
- Motivation letter
- Financial plan (using this template)
- Supporting documents
Already receiving LUC Financial Support (current students):
- Before 15 March, log-into uSis, open your LUC scholarship application and click on ‘During Stay’ (left-hand menu).
- Request a renewal by uploading the following items as described in the information on Criteria, required documents and conditions:
- If your financial situation has not changed: a copy of the annual financial plan you submitted with your last LUC financial support request.
- If your financial situation has changed: a new annual financial plan (using this template), a new motivation letter and any additional supporting documentation.
Late or incomplete applications will not be considered!
- March to May: the selection committee will assess all applications for financial support on the basis of documented financial situation, demonstrated attitude to meeting costs and motivation.
- Funds are allocated in the following order of precedence
- Current LUC students (both renewals and first requests for financial support).
- New students who have been admitted to LUC by the start of the selection period (15 March).
- New students who are admitted to LUC after the selection period had commenced (after 15 March). Candidates from this group will be waitlisted and only awarded financial support if there are funds remaining.
- 1 May: all candidates will be notified of the decision on their application for financial support via Leiden University’s online application portal (uSis).
- Recipients must accept the offered financial support within 2 weeks of being notified of the award via the online application portal (uSis).
- The awarding of financial support is at the discretion of LUC. Decisions are final and may not be contested.
The information you provide in your application and supporting documents will be treated with the utmost confidentiality and will only be used by the Selection committee for the assessment of your financial support application. This process is separate to the admission process and will in no way influence the decision of the admissions board.