Call for applications NISIS Autumn School
From Monday 15 until Thursday 18 October 2018, the eighth annual NISIS Autumn School will take place at the University of Groningen. This year’s Autumn School is organised by NISIS and the Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies of the University of Groningen in cooperation with the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO). The theme of this year’s Autumn School is “Travelling Muslims”. Islam and Muslims have a rich history of travelling. Whether motivated first and foremost by religion, as in pilgrimage and journeys to seek knowledge, or for economic reasons or simply seeking pleasure, travel has an impact on one’s world view and habits. In this Autumn School, we investigate how various kinds of travel have informed Muslims religious views, practices, and different senses of belonging. In particular, we will look into three, often interrelated kinds of travel: pilgrimage, migration, and ‘holidaying’.
PhD candidates, research master students and advanced MA students, whose research focuses on the study of Muslims, Muslim societies and Islam in the broadest sense of the word, are invited to apply for participation. Successful applicants will be granted participation in the full programme, but must cover their own expenses. Applicants who are not affiliated to a university in The Netherlands will be charged a fee of 100 euro to participate in the programme.
To apply for participation, applications must be sent to Dr Petra de Bruijn (firstname.lastname@example.org) Deadline for application: Monday 10 September 2018, 09.00 hrs (CET). Applications submitted after this date will not be taken into consideration.
Applications must include the following:
- a CV
- a motivation letter
- a one-page description of your MA thesis or PhD project, indicating supervisor(s)
- a title and an abstract of your presentation (250 words max)*. Presentations must be related to the theme of the Autumn School
- a short biography (50 words max, in third person)*
*If your application is successful these will be used in the programme booklet.
Please note the following:
1. NISIS junior members automatically qualify for participation, but DO need to apply by sending in a title, an abstract and a short biography (see requirements above).
2. The number of people who are to be admitted to the NISIS Autumn School is limited.
3. Successful applicants affiliated to Dutch universities must cover their own expenses, and are responsible for arranging travel and accommodation (if applicable) themselves. Lunches and a conference dinner will be included in the programme for this group of applicants.
4. Applicants who are not affiliated to a university in the Netherlands will be charged a fee of 100 euros to cover the costs for lunches, the conference dinner and additional conference costs.
If you are selected for participation in the Autumn School you can obtain 2 EC if you:
- read the prescribed literature in advance, you will be asked to reflect on the literature during one of the workshop;
- hand in at least one question related to each article at email@example.com before Thursday 11 October 2018, 9.00 hours (CET);
- give a presentation in one of the workshops and act as discussant for the presentation of one of the other participants.
For an additional 3 EC:
- write a paper in which your own research is related to the theme of the Autumn School.
Please see the course description for more information and the requirements for the writing assignments.
For more information please visit the NISIS website.