SAR Conference 2016: Writing
On 27 and 28 April, the annual conference of the Society for Artistic Research will take place at the Royal Conservatoire and the Royal Academy of Art in The Hague. This year’s conference will address the theme writing.
In every academic context, writing plays an important role, and so it does in artistic research. But as artistic research involves artistic practice as well, the relationship between practice and writing is subject of discussion.
This conference will address writing in relation to artistic research from the following perspectives: writing as practice and practice as writing. How do both writing and practice operate as ways to convey new knowledge, understanding and experiences by which we (re)organize our lives? In workshops, demonstrations, performances, discussions, open sessions and on-the-spot encounters we will contribute to the ongoing development of the relationship between practice and writing in the context of artistic research. Keynote presentations will be held by leading experts, including:
- Christa-Maria Lerm Hayes, Professor of Modern and Contemporary Art History, University of Amsterdam
- Alva Noë, Professor of Philosophy, University of California, Berkeley
- Redell Olsen, poet and artist, Reader in Poetic Practice, Royal Holloway, University of London
- Michael Schwab, artist and philosopher, editor-in-chief of JAR
- Salomé Voegelin, artist and writer, Reader in Sound Arts, LCC, University of the Arts London
Furthermore, the conference includes parallel workshop sessions, organized in four thematic strands: “The Poetics of Critical Writing”, “Writing Sound Art/Music”, “Writing Art in Digital Space” and “Art, Philosophy, Writing and Speech”.
The full programme is now available on the conference website.
Prof.dr. Henk Borgdorff is conference chair of this year's SAR Conference. In 2010 he was, with artists Florian Dombois and Michael Schwab, one of the founders of the Society for Artistic Research and currently he is president of the Executive Board.