The current ICLON research program encompasses two related research themes: teaching and teacher learning.
The current ICLON research programme is titled ‘Teaching and Teacher Learning’. Research within this programme aims to help bridge the gap between educational theory and actual teaching practice, teacher education, and the further professional development of teachers.
Within each research theme, a series of research projects is conducted. Most of the projects concern secondary teaching, although there are also projects aimed at higher education teaching and vocational education teaching.
The ICLON research programme is currently led by Fred Janssen. The programme is conducted within the framework of the Dutch Interuniversity Centre for Educational Research (ICO), which is accredited by the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW).
Research School ICO
The ICLON research programme is conducted within the framework of ICO, the Interuniversity Centre for Educational Research (in Dutch 'Interuniversitair Centrum voor Onderwijsonderzoek' and therefore abbreviated to 'ICO'). ICO is a Dutch research school in the domain of education established in 1988 as a partnership between the universities of Twente and Groningen with the aim of offering advanced courses to its PhD candidates. This collaboration was soon expanded to include research. The educational instititutes of ten Dutch universities currently participate in ICO.
ICLON aims to promote and facilitate co-operation between ICLON and institutions abroad by, for instance:
- organising joint academic and scientific activities, such as courses, conferences, seminars, symposia or lectures;
- exchanging publications and other materials of common interest;
- exchanging PhD students;
- inviting foreign researchers as visiting scholars.
ICLON currently maintains professional relations with the following universities and institutes abroad:
- Stanford University School of Education (SUSE), USA
- Sydney University, Australia
- University of California at Berkeley, USA
- University of Toronto (OISE), Canada
- Xiamen University, People’s Republic of China.
If you require more specific information, please contact: